• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

W-9s furnishe to customers...why?

J

john1

This is a "dumb" question but how do i go about sending a W9 to someone? I have no idea where to start

I have a customer that just requested i send them one since they are sending me checks.

Thanks guys

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Every year a handful of my clients ask for a W9. I explain to the that in no way am in a 1099 relationship with them. I am merely a merchant selling his wares. I give them a sign, they give me money. Very simple. Do they demand a W9 from the local green grocer? From the dealer if they buy a new vehicle? From the USPS for postage? I think not.

It matters not a whit whether I make $6 or $60,000 from someone, there is no basis for a W9.

I further explain that, this being the case, they are not getting a W9 from me. If that makes their account wet itself and run out into traffic, not my problem. No W9 no way no how.

I had one local city government refuse to pay me for a banner until I gave them a W9. They maintained that they had to have a W9 because that's how their accounting system worked and there was some sort of law in their village mandating this behavior.

I explained, once again, the relationship between us and told them that there would not be a W9 from me, ever, that my lack of interest in their accounting system as well as their local legal code was total, that they were indeed going to pay me, and if payment wasn't forthcoming immediately the next stop is going to be small claims court. I received their payment in two days after that particular temper tantrum. Apparently their cast-in-stone inviolate accounting system was a bit more flexible than even they knew.

There was going to be a new regulation, part of the insane obamacare legislation, that would indeed require a W9 anytime anyone did more than $600 business with anyone. That particular provision was repealed last December. Sanity prevailed.

SAS

I do send out W9 forms from time to time. Most of the time I'm ask to send them with my COI. I received a 1099 this year from a customer that ordered four banners. The total cost of the banners was around $840.

signswi

Takes me 2 clicks to send out a W-9 and makes the customer requesting it happy. Why get all ornery about something so simple.

Graphics2u

I have to agree with bob on this one, although I'm not as adamant with someone requesting oa W9 as perhaps he is.

The only reason a company should request a W9 from you is if and only if they are required to file a 1099 on money they paid you. So if you're selling wholesale signs (or in Steve's case Fonts) to someone they are not required to file a 1099, because they are purchasing a product form you. Thus no reason for a W9. If you are solely doing installs for someone else and they are not withholding taxes on what they pay you, then they should issue you a 1099 for that and thus will need a W9 for the correct information.

Direct from the Form:

Purpose of Form
[FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std][FONT=HelveticaNeueLT Std,HelveticaNeueLT Std]
A person who is required to file an information return with the IRS must obtain your correct taxpayer identification number (TIN) to report, for example, income paid to you, real estate transactions, mortgage interest you paid, acquisition or abandonment of secured property, cancellation of debt, or contributions you made to an IRA.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

A W9 is only an information form, nothing to do with telling the IRS how much money you were paid. So the whole $600 limit does not even apply to who should get that form and who shouldn't. If your business dealings with another person or company make you a 1099 vendor to them (in other words if the business relationship you have with them would require a 1099 if the amount was over $600) Then they should have a W9 on file whether or not they actually paid you $600 or more for the year.

It does seem like many companies request these Forms now even though they will not be sending you a 1099. Whether it's because their accounting system asks for it or they just don't understand the business relationship they have with you. It's not that big a deal to send it to them, but in a world that so many things are and so much paperwork is required, it's just frustrating to have to do something that's not required just to satisfy someone else accounting system.

SD&F

It is easy and as everyone has said. Go to IRS website, search W-9 and fill it out online.
Then leave their name empty and print yourself several to have on hand. Fax or scan them when you need them. It is one of the easier things in life to do with this business.

Graphics2u

It is easy and as everyone has said. Go to IRS website, search W-9 and fill it out online.
Then leave their name empty and print yourself several to have on hand. Fax or scan them when you need them. It is one of the easier things in life to do with this business.
It is easy, but many people ask for it that don't really need it. And in this day and age I'd rather have my SS number or EIN floating around to as few a people as possible.

signswi

Takes about 3 seconds to find an EIN, odds are really good that you've filed something with it that's public record and therefor searchable.