• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wacom Intuos 4 issues

CES020

I have a Wacom Intuos 4, medium size that I've had for a couple of years now. Used it a fair amount when I first got it, but then didn't use it much due to an issue that developed. It's hooked to a PC. The last few times I used it, when I would try and change the brush size using the touch ring, (I have brush size set to the 3rd light down), when I would scroll the ring, it would pop up my "Start" menu in windows. No matter what I did, the scroll wheel would not change the brush size.

I checked all the settings, it all looks right to me. I downloaded the latest driver, didn't fix it. I contacted Wacom through their support and didn't get much resolved there either. So rendering it useless, I stopped using it.

Fast forward to yesterday, I decided to hook it to a Mac and use it for photo editing. Installed fine, seemed to work, I go into something that requires a brush, I select the "brush size" option using the touch ring, and rotated my image. I looked at all the settings and it's set up to show the 3rd option down as the brush size. However, scrolling the touch ring doesn't change brush size. I looked at it for a few minutes and realized that if I selected the option above the one I wanted on the touch ring, it would work. It's like all the buttons are one set off.

Now that I have seen it on PC and on the Mac, I know it's not computer specific or driver specific, since one is using a PC driver and one a Mac driver.

Anyone else seen this odd behavior and have any suggestions on how to resolve it. My experience with Wacom's support has been less than impressive.

For the function on the touch ring, that sections (3rd one down) says "Keystroke" as a selection and under that, it says "Brush Size". Should that be something different? If so, what should it be?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-08-04 at 8.47.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-08-04 at 8.47.06 AM.png
    98.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

SebastienL

I'm not familiar with your tablet. Just a taught: if you assign another function to the third position, does this function work?

Also, "Keystroke". Does this mean you have to assign a keyboard shortcut to get to the 3rd function? if so, try changing it. Maybe the one you have is already assign to something else.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with you tablet...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
First off ... download and install the latest driver from Wacom. It is WacomTablet_6.1.6-7.exe and can be found HERE.

You can probably fix the problem you describe by simply clicking "Default for your settings. If that doesn't work, then click on the word Keystroke in the third menu to open the entry screen. Check that the entry of "]" is entered on the top field and "[" is entered in the lower field.

intuos2.jpg intuos.jpg

You might also want to setup program specific settings for your Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

CES020

Thanks Fred, I downloaded the driver yesterday, so it's up to date. My screen shows exactly as yours does on the right and left brackets.

Edit : forgot to mention, I have hit the "default" button and it changes nothing, since it was just installed last night.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If it is popping up the Start menu then it is somehow getting a Windows key command mixed in somehow. I just tested mine and hitting the Windows key would not cause any entry to be made into the dialog field. So you've got a strange problem ... maybe in the hardware/firmware/software of the tablet itself.

CES020

Yeah, I'm not sure. I thought hooking it to my mac would fix any issues. It's hooked to that now and will stay there. I'm using it with Aperture and that's about all I plan to for now. I don't have CS for the mac, so I'm limited to what I have to use it with at this time.

On the mac, when the brush is selected, it rotates the canvas, which oddly, is the next selection down. It's like the entire thing is one button off.