• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wacom Tablets, What does the size limit you to?

S

scarface

Hey guys, Thinking about getting a wacom or another brand drawing pad.

What i want to do is use it for tracing images easier and creating my own by drawing on the pad.

A friend of mine uses his pen for the mouse for his computer and doesn't even use a regular mouse or a wireless one like the tablets come with cause he says it's much easier.

What I'm wondering is, Will these tablets work the way i want them to as mentioned above and what does the size of the tablet limit you to?

Thanks!

jdb

Yes, you can use the pen as a mouse if you desire, I think the pen has it's limitations as a mouse though. As far as the size of the tablet goes, if you have a piece of paper with drawings you want to trace that is larger then the tablet you have to move the paper around. This is what my experience has been.

Craig Sjoquist

not sure about tracing .. since the pen is the conductor on a plastic pad ... have to try that myself now lol

but as for drawing your own thing ... surely bigger would be better
when I'm using it to draw 6x9 here would like it bigger, make it easier for better lines or more detail and working on detail, also would be more to real size on screen

S

scarface

This sounds dumb to those experienced but you can take a customer drawing on paper let's say, place it under the glass on the tablet and trace it on the screen?

Thanks!

Cadmn

This sounds dumb to those experienced but you can take a customer drawing on paper let's say, place it under the glass on the tablet and trace it on the screen?

Thanks!
depends on the tablet, some are sensitive enough some aren't

Vinylman

Hey guys, Thinking about getting a wacom or another brand drawing pad.

What i want to do is use it for tracing images easier and creating my own by drawing on the pad.

A friend of mine uses his pen for the mouse for his computer and doesn't even use a regular mouse or a wireless one like the tablets come with cause he says it's much easier.

What I'm wondering is, Will these tablets work the way i want them to as mentioned above and what does the size of the tablet limit you to?
Thanks!
The limitations on what YOU want to do with the tablet will be more in your head than in reality. As you use the tablet, it will become as comfortable as any mouse, or track ball you have effectively trained yourself to use.
There is a learning curve, but it comes quickly when you stick to it.
As to tracing, I have only used mine sparingly for that. I prefer to scan my work into the program I use, and then work on the scanned image with the pen tool. Much faster for me.
I am using a Wacom Intuos3 tablet. This is my 3rd Wacom tablet. I have looked at others, but you have to ask yourself "why would I want to go with a lesser known brand?, when used Wacoms are all around at VERY attractive prices?"

CheapVehicleWrap

if you can afford it the cintiq 21ux is the best way to go. Think as if the smaller tablets have les resolution. The cintiq s a 1:1 as you're drawing right over your drawing on the screen.

chickadeevinyl

I have a wacom tablet and had some of the same question. When I did some searching around I was told that the tablets that were as large as a piece of paper were more for artists who worked more with painting and such and were used to using their full arm to create. They told me that those who do sketching and drawing will be more than comfortable with a smaller one. I love mine and use it for a mouse full time as well and LOVE it. I think it's so much faster than a mouse. As for tracing, it will work but like someone above mentioned if it's larger than your tablet you will have to move your paper around. I also agree that it would be easier to scan it.

American & Proud

Originally I bought mine for Photoshop use a few years ago, when they came out with the 6x11 built for dual monitors and or wide screen usage.
http://http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tools/wacom-intuos3-6x11.html
http://http://www.wacom.com/industries/graphicdesign.php
I have the Mouse, Grip Pen, Airbrush Pen, and the 6D Art Pen.
I use the mouse and tablet for everything you would use a normal mouse and mouse pad for.
I use the Pens for more drawing Control, after you get used to it, it's like drawing with a pencil on paper. The other pens have there place for certain types of work.

The different models have different sensitivity levels associated with pen tip pressures. (thick to thin lines as you draw) Intuos3 has 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity
Senses both the angle and direction of pen tilt.
Intuos 4's are the latest Intuos.
I want to upgrade to the Cintiq 21UK. You draw right on the screen with the Cintiqs.
http://https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Cintiq_21UX_P1511C141.cfm
I Love my Wacom.

mianos

It also depends on if you are doing your own art. Larger ones are good for tracing but, as the other posts say, I find it much quicker to scan/photograph then lock the bitmap and trace vectors over it with a mouse (or pen, the case here being whatever you are most comfortable with).

If you are doing original art/drawing you may find you will actually be better with a smaller one unless you are used to drawing on large sheets or canvas.
Most mouse drawing is done using the pad of you hand as a pivot to draw curves. (put your hand down to the mouse now and draw a few curves and you will see what I mean). If you are much more used to doing that you will find a pen on a small tablet is a much closer experience and you will be more accurate. If you are used to drawing freehand on a large surface a larger tablet is much better.

Last edited:

luggnut

most use it to only draw it PS or other raster program.. for me it is most useful to draw things directly in illustrator in vector... it eliminates any auto tracing..

this video is kind of how i use it. (i have the cintiq 12wx)

http://www.vimeo.com/1825249?pg=embed&sec=1825249

i don't think the skull in this video could be done faster with a mouse and the pen tool

Rodi

I have a 9 x 12 and it is great, but its too big. I used a 4x5 and I loved it, very little desk space taken up.

ProColorGraphics

For a tablet, it has to be Wacom. I would go with the medium Intous 4. If you can swing it, the ultimate setup is the Cintiq. I have the 12" version and absolutely love it. I will honestly say that I can't use a mouse for anything beside surfing the net and clicking though folders. Even using a regular tablet is awkward. I am hoping to get the big 21" Cintiq soon. B&H Photo has the best prices on them that I have seen.

stephenj148

I love my wacom Intuos 4. Got it as a christmas gift. Currently have the smaller one, but after using it, I would much more prefer the medium one. It gives you a couple more buttons, as well as LED to let you know which buttons are which.

As for functionality...I don't use a mouse on my computer anymore, the pen is the way to go for me. Very comfortable.

omgsideburns

not sure about tracing .. since the pen is the conductor on a plastic pad ... have to try that myself now lol

but as for drawing your own thing ... surely bigger would be better
when I'm using it to draw 6x9 here would like it bigger, make it easier for better lines or more detail and working on detail, also would be more to real size on screen

the pen isn't a conductor, at least on the wacoms.. it's a transmitter. it uses rf signals or something. you can lay things on the pad, and you don't actually have to touch the pad to move the cursor around on the screen. the tip acts like a button but it's a potentiometer to that the initial pressure on the tip is a "click" action, then any additional pressure is pressure that you can use to affect the tool like make the brush wider or narrower, etc..

i have a wacom intuos3 9x12 i'm thinking about selling, it's in the classifieds if someone wants to make an offer.

Todd-sta

Hi -

I've got a 6" X 11" (wide format) and a 6" X 8" Wacom Intuos 3. I had one of the really large ones and hated it - got rid of it.

The large ones require a LOT of desktop space and require much more back-and-forth arm movement (if you keep the space defined using the entire workable surface - but if you didn't - then why get the large one in the first place?).... the smaller ones are perfect. I use mine as a complete replacement for the mouse...and would NEVER go back to using a mouse for my graphic packages. Plus, the wrist strain has proven far less of an issue as holding a 'pen' is way more natural a position.

In my opinion - and I submit that others may have differing experiences - I see no advantage at all to the 'bigger-is-better' argument in terms of the drawing tablet size.

Plus - you can stick a smaller Wacom in your laptop bag if you want to use it in a mobile setting.

I even re-defined my working space to be smaller on my smaller Wacom's as the full working space on those even was too large.

Just another perspective.

SignManiac

Is the Wacom better suited for photoshop/photopaint i.e. bitmap programs or can it work with the vector side of Illustrator and CorelDraw?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Is the Wacom better suited for photoshop/photopaint i.e. bitmap programs or can it work with the vector side of Illustrator and CorelDraw?

I use Illustrator 95% of the time and almost never use a mouse. It is perfect for vector work. And before purchasing it, I researched and a majority preferred the middle sized tablet. The large one does require alot of arm movement, so unless that is your drawing style I would stick with the 6 to 8 inch version and not the XL