• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wacom's Inkling

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Not feeling it. Like the idea ... but my scanner is less expensive and I'm not too sure if the pressure sensitive pen tip will transfer properly. Think I will wait till maybe the second gen of it to see if it still does things properly.

signmeup

Not feeling it. Like the idea ... but my scanner is less expensive and I'm not too sure if the pressure sensitive pen tip will transfer properly. Think I will wait till maybe the second gen of it to see if it still does things properly.
Your scanner makes vector drawings from your scans! What kind is it? I want one! Does it take special software to do this?

The pen/paper thing looks like a great idea too. I'd love to try one out.

artbot

the real deal would be to design something in photoshop (non-vector). then print out a, say, red and white version. then use the inkling to trace it. i could design organic tool paths really easily with this compared to a mouse or stylus. just draw around on your page where you want the cnc to cut.

Custom_Grafx

the real deal would be to design something in photoshop (non-vector). then print out a, say, red and white version. then use the inkling to trace it. i could design organic tool paths really easily with this compared to a mouse or stylus. just draw around on your page where you want the cnc to cut.

I have an older model wacom (low end cheap version) which lets me put a piece of paper in between the clear plastic shell on the front so I can do just that?

RebeckaR

The idea that I could draw on paper and have it actually feel like paper is very exciting. I work in pen and ink a lot so it would be so much more natural to me.

I'll wait awhile to see what kind of reviews it gets.
but...
If someone were to buy this for my birthday I wouldn't return it.

signmeup

I have an older model wacom (low end cheap version) which lets me put a piece of paper in between the clear plastic shell on the front so I can do just that?
Now that I think about it... I have a cheap-a$$ monoprice tablet that will work through a mouse pad. A sheet of paper is no challenge for it at all. If they put ink in the digitizing pen it would be the same as this thing for 35 bucks.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Your scanner makes vector drawings from your scans! What kind is it? I want one! Does it take special software to do this?

The pen/paper thing looks like a great idea too. I'd love to try one out.

Yeah, it's called potrace. You can find it as part of Inkscape. Best raster to vector trace I've seen for black and white. Until I see that someone who is pen heavy on their actual drawings (like myself) won't end up with blotchy vectors or even digitized drawings I will either leave it to scanning and vectoring my line art or I will just use my wacom as is. Like I said, I will wait till second generation of it to see if it works as advertised. The $200 price tag is interesting though, at that price it may just go into my arsenal just as something to sketch quick line drawings on for later ideas ... nothing to complex though.

Even some of he more expensive but older wacoms did that too (about 3 or 4 generations before ... what the Graphire line? ... well the one that was 'metallic' blue with the plastic that really abused the plastic case). It was made to throw a drawing under the plastic to trace it ... really ended up more for making your tablet have a half naked girl on it that you could change out if you knew how to make a template. about a decade ago, my boss at the time made me design out a pinup girl riding on the companies logo for all the tablets in the shop. Good stuff.

genericname

Coming in September, looks interesting.

I hope they've had that one on the shelf for a while, because there have been similar products on the market for nearly a decade, and Wacom may get spanked with a patent suit. I'm willing to bet Wacom's lawyers are better paid than any of the other companies' though.

signmeup

Even some of he more expensive but older wacoms did that too (about 3 or 4 generations before ... what the Graphire line? ... well the one that was 'metallic' blue with the plastic that really abused the plastic case). It was made to throw a drawing under the plastic to trace it ... really ended up more for making your tablet have a half naked girl on it that you could change out if you knew how to make a template. about a decade ago, my boss at the time made me design out a pinup girl riding on the companies logo for all the tablets in the shop. Good stuff.
I just tried my tablet through 11 sheets of paper AND a mouse pad. Works great. I suspect any tablet would work the same way. Now if I could only get a pencil to work on it.

I can see this new device being great for people on the go... it looks much more portable than a regular tablet.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I just tried my tablet through 11 sheets of paper AND a mouse pad. Works great. I suspect any tablet would work the same way. Now if I could only get a pencil to work on it.

I can see this new device being great for people on the go... it looks much more portable than a regular tablet.

I generally use my Pandigital Tablet for that, it's an e-reader but they finally gave it android market support and there are a few nice drawing apps on the marketplace for that ... but damn you! It would help with getting your customers sketches into the system for proofing and finalization if it is truly portable. I wonder how long the batter is supposed to last on it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We scan either raster or vector.

Put a sketch, photo or anything in the scanner and I push one button and it instantly turns it into vector or raster for me. Then I decide which program I want to work on it.... and export it there. Takes about 30 seconds for the preview and about 45 seconds for the actual scan.

WildWestDesigns

Really? He said Intous 3, not Cintiq :p. Intous are super common and the 3 is a model behind. :wink:

But I do have the 21UX as one of my 3 monitors.

I really need to clean off my desk and take a picture of the setup.

I have the big Intuos 3. To go along with the 18" Toshiba laptop that I use as my production computer as well as my travel computer.

signmeup

I generally use my Pandigital Tablet for that, it's an e-reader but they finally gave it android market support and there are a few nice drawing apps on the marketplace for that ... but damn you! It would help with getting your customers sketches into the system for proofing and finalization if it is truly portable. I wonder how long the batter is supposed to last on it?
Damn me?? What did I do? :help