• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Walk away or re-do

rossmosh

I'd explain why the problem occurred and explain it's incredibly normal for fonts to have some letters/numbers bigger than others. I might even take 3 minutes to type in a few fonts and show how common it is. I'd also go ahead and type in his digits all sized to 6" and show him it will probably look stupid as the weight of the digit will now be off.

I'd then want to know what's the problem with the one digit being an insignificant amount taller. Will he not pass inspection? Will it not fit in the space he needs to put it? What's the issue?

Typically after you educate someone and lay a bit of logic on them, they'll come around. If it's still an issue, fix the problem, and move on with your life. If he comes in again, you'll have his file setup so it should make it pretty painless to do it again. If he wants something else done, just tell him you're too busy or make up some other excuse.

untitled

I'd just ask him how slow he races if someone can notice 3/16". Unless it was replacement numbers going inside an outline or something like that where it doesn't look right, but still 3/16" is pretty damn small and would barely be noticeable.

We deal with MX riders and some race car drivers. They will spend 2k on an exhaust to make 0.1 of a second a lap and then squeeze us for a discount. In fairness if they specify a size they are probably getting scrutineered on the number size which is stated in the regulations so it needs to be a minimum height and width which you have done wrong so it is only right that you remake. Unlikely you will get any major work from them but you agreed and did not deliver.

But he didn't do it wrong. The regulations will specify a minimum which he met and then the other number was bigger. At the same time normally with scrutineering they never look at the actual size of the numbers. Maybe in some top level racing, but even then I don't think they are concentrating that much on number size as long as it's visible to track workers. However if it came down to something another competitor could make an appeal to the race director, however even then I don't see to much happening in terms of penalties as it doesn't affect performance. I actually find it kind of funny because on my own kart my numbers are a little to short and narrow, the number panel background color is different and my side pod number are on the front of the pod but are "required" to be on the back of the pod. I have asked a couple of times when at different tracks if it would be an issue and was always told no. To be safe I do have a set of number panels that all meet the requirements perfectly that I could put on if there would be problem.

This customer is just looking to get back his $75 back. Like others said I'd probably cut the numbers out again at the exact height he wants and do them as single digits so he can't complain about spacing or something else stupid. Then I'd never do business with him again.

FactorDesign

Race car people are the cheapest. At my previous shop we had a race car builder's shop behind us. We could have wrapped a couple cars a week if we were willing to do it for $300. All that missed business really hurts. /s