• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall cabinet construction

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
For those building their own cabinets, what method would you use for a 4x8 or 4x10 lighted wall cabinet? I saw one built of either 1x6 or 2x6 (couldn't remember) aluminum rectangle with a few vertical angles as supports. Seemed like a simple and sturdy construction. Ive seen some that looked like extruded knock down kits.. older cabinets made of steel angle. Interested in hearing how others build them.

John Miller

One simple way is have your sign supply Co. to miter the four pieces. The extrusion company we often use is SignComp, although there are quite a few different extrusion suppliers. If you are capable of welding aluminum, put the 4 sides together the supplied corner keys, weld the corners inside the box, put on a back, etc.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We get extrusion from ABC Sign Products and have them miter the corners. If they are longer cabinets we might had some angle and 1" square tube "C" shapes to help keep the long lengths from drooping.

If for some reason we need to scratch build a cabinet, we'll use 1-1/2" aluminum angle and .050 aluminum skin.

karst41

Wall cabinets are great.
To build them yourself is expensive.

Go to Big box Store and Buy them.
For the Walls buy the Upper kitchen Cabinets For your 5'x12' table buy base cabinets
Cut off the 6" base and install Feet 6 Base Cabinets gives you a ton of options for Drawers
and or shelf's. You can buy these in Colors or Natural Wood.

Point is this.
For what you spend on materials building your own cabinets, you can simply Buy.
And save a mountain of time! or did you forget to place a monetary value on your time??

The base cabinets for your shop table/s can be from the wall cabinets too.
and you will have a great looking shop. That alone makes a massive differance.

You walk in with you morning coffee and look ate your most Professional Studio,
Yeah You are the Fk N Man! or woman. or gawd only knows what these days.

Oh and stop being cheap. Call Piedmont Plastics and order a half inch 5' x 12'
HDPE Cutting board (Glossy) I make zillions of cuts and 4 years later I am still on the first of 8 quadrants
One rotation and Flip then reverse rotation & flip. No floating particulat like you get from plywood or corian

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wall cabinets are great.
To build them yourself is expensive.

Go to Big box Store and Buy them.
For the Walls buy the Upper kitchen Cabinets For your 5'x12' table buy base cabinets
Cut off the 6" base and install Feet 6 Base Cabinets gives you a ton of options for Drawers
and or shelf's. You can buy these in Colors or Natural Wood.

Point is this.
For what you spend on materials building your own cabinets, you can simply Buy.
And save a mountain of time! or did you forget to place a monetary value on your time??

The base cabinets for your shop table/s can be from the wall cabinets too.
and you will have a great looking shop. That alone makes a massive differance.

You walk in with you morning coffee and look ate your most Professional Studio,
Yeah You are the Fk N Man! or woman. or gawd only knows what these days.

Oh and stop being cheap. Call Piedmont Plastics and order a half inch 5' x 12'
HDPE Cutting board (Glossy) I make zillions of cuts and 4 years later I am still on the first of 8 quadrants
One rotation and Flip then reverse rotation & flip. No floating particulat like you get from plywood or corian
You're right, I don't value my time because I actually read posts before responding.

Stallion Signs

Being in Texas, Eastern Metal probably also delivers to you
We often buy stock length extrusions and then cut and weld them together ourselves or SignComp will send it to you, cut to size and, you just need to put it together

Scotchbrite

No comment
Speaking of cabinet humor. When I first started working here, the boss (also father-in-law) spelled it "cabinate" on everything. I started doing it thinking I was ignorant about something until the bookkeeper explained that the boss was just a bad speller. :doh: But ever since when I see "cabinet" I say "cabin-eight".