• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Graphic Material Suggestions

kmajid

How's everyone doing? Hope that all is well. We have a client who is in need of a large wall graphic (approximately 3x7) and I was curious if you guys could recommend any specific material to you. We have a Roland SP-540.

None of us have experience installing larger graphics, anyone familiar with someone in the Baltimore, MD area who could help us out?

Any advice would be much appreciated. The client also asked if they could use cloth or fabric like banner material for the interior. We've never used such a product either, any suggestions regarding that too?

Thanks in advance

MikePro

wallpaper?
UltraFlex Wallscapes is my preferred, but Korographics also makes a great product. Imho, wallpaper is easier to install than vinyl graphic since it slides a bit more and hides any imperfections the wall may have a bit better.

vinyl?
I always sing 3M IJ180Cv3's praises, but for flat wall surfaces I prefer Oracal 3551RA. Less expensive, thicker, and has a stronger permenant hold than the former.

kmajid

We typically use IJ180CV3 for some of our products, we can also use that to place on walls? Didn't realize that.

What's the difference between doing that and using actual material that's made to be used as wallpaper?

Thanks.

MikePro

Heck yeah...3M IJ180Cv3 can wrap nearly ANYTHING!

What's the difference between doing that and using actual material that's made to be used as wallpaper?

Thanks.

you just have to apply your own wallpaper paste. typically I also "size" the wall in preparation, its a wallpaper primer available at any sherwin williams or wherever you buy your wallpaper paste from. the squeegee is different too, made of bristles instead of a rubber edge... meant to make the paste "flow" smooth rather than completely flattening the material against the wall. Bucket of water and sponges are also handy to clean up the mess.

J

john1

I'm about a hour and 10 mins from your location. I googled your shop name and your just off Rt 40 it seems.

Shoot me a PM if you still need a hand, I'm up to make some extra helping another shop out. If it's worth it to you let me know.

kmajid

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. John, thanks for the offer, could you PM me what kind of material you prefer using and how much you would charge to install each graphic. Thanks.

Sign Eagle

We have used both Avery and Orical wall vinyl, both with good results. Avery is the only one I am aware of that states that you can bleed off the edge, most of the wall vinyls require a white edge or they may curl. One thought no one has mentioned is some of the easy clean paints used on walls have silicone that don't accept vinyl. We are located in Glen Burnie, would be happy to lend a hand.

MontereySigns

Wall Graphic Materials

We've used several materials for interior wall graphics, most with mixed results.

I am assuming the wall you are covering is painted sheetrock with a medium to low texture. If this is the case I would urge you to consider Phototex, or any other brand of adhesive "fabric" that is out there. We like this product because it is thin, conforms to the nooks and crannys of the wall, and (because it conforms) maintains adhesion throughout the graphic. Plus it's super easy to install. If you client likes the fabric look as you mentioned they will like this look, too.

You can probably get a sample roll for no charge from the manufacturer that would be enough for a 3' x 7' graphic.

-Bud

smdgrfx

I just did a couple of good size wall graphics back in February. One wall (10'x42')was textured pretty heavy and had a eggshell/flat latex paint. The smaller wall (7'x17') didn't have any texture, but seemed to have a flat white paint or primer. The IJ180 would stick to the flat non-textured wall, but not the textured wall. IJ35 did not stick well on either. Oracal 3641 or 3651 did not stick to either (less than the IJ35). I did not want to use two different vinyls, so I took a chance and went with 3M IJ8624 with Oracal 210 matte laminate. Came out really nice, sticks really good, and the customer was very happy. Pretty easy to work with, but you have to apply heat for maximum conformity. Another solution if you are doing something small is Convex. It worked on both applications that I tried but was going to be cost prohibitive.

Talking to a distributor recently, I want to give the Arlon 8000 a try also.

kmajid

Thanks so much guys for the recommendations, i'll research each product accordingly and go from there. It's incredible how helpful everyone is, love it!

Thanks again.

Hotspotmedia

Make sure you try the Photo Tex it is all we use indoor, outdoors. I think you can google "phototex" to find there web-site and just ask for a sample , they will send it for free I bet? Tracy