• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Wall Graphics- Design, Material, Install Discussion

Cody Cruea

Hey My Name is Cody,

I'm still new to this site. I was hoping to post some of my general questions here.
I design the in photoshop, illustrator, corel, and composer for all sorts of things, but my concern for this topic is on wall graphics. I also print on the Color Painter M-64s printers (2 printers 2018 oki and 2016 seiko).

DESIGN
I'm seeing that most of these wall graphics end up being enormous files, like 2 gigs, 5 or even 10 at times due to the sheer size of a given wall.

I understand that it deals with render per pixel and so on, especially when I'm working at full size.
Does the quality of the file drop if I were to save it as a smaller physical size, then boosted to the correct physical size?

Does the quality of the file drop if I were to save it as a smaller file size, then boosted to the correct physical size?

How can I save it to be shared between programs and printing programs and yet keep the same quality?

I've just figured I can save my 'design version' in my own file as a large format then send over a smaller 'print version' as my final product.

MATERIAL
Ask me anything about and I'll try to answer from my own experience. I've got some questions here too.

Recently I've been testing out a few different material brands.
Arlon is my go to, Phototex is my runner up, and then I'm testing out Jarhead and some Avery brand.I hear you can use the cast material, 3m IJ180 practically on anything like the walls too although I haven't yet.

Arlon has been my main go to for wall wraps since it feels jsut like all my other main material for other work. Phototex used to be my go to, as it was my first, because it felt like silk and so far I haven't seen it shrink. However Phototex was much more translucent and costed me a full wall at one point when we started noticing the overlaps being more opaque than the rest of the piece. So, Arlon has been the go to because the opacity is roughly the same as like my Oracal 3651/3m IJ35c stuff.

I just printed some sample stuff for my own walls on the Jarhead and Avery, they seem pretty much the same. And seem pretty much the same price and quality.

INSTALLATION
I've been using Arlon for the majority of my stuff, although recently I noticed it shrunk on one wall and started peeling off. We wiped the wall down poorly, and the wall is a texture coated wall-like popcorn or sand- but it was an in door wall, as opposed to an outdoor.
The indoor location was extremely hot and greasy -some shitty internet cafe restaurant place in the hottest place in america- And it was the first time our wall wrap failed. We did what we could, besides grinding and sanding the wall down because lets face it they were not paying enough. Anyways, I'd love to hear some of the solutions.

I ended up figuring out that using a heatgun with a mounted roller on it to secure it and cast it to the wall was my solution.

CanuckSigns

We just recently used the opaque version of phototex on a wall and it worked really well, no more zebra stripes on the overlaps! however we have always had issues with the ink not curing 100% on phototex, at times you can go back months later and leave a big white fingerprint in the graphic just by touching it, so we shy away from it for that reason.

For permanant wall graphics, we use either IJ40, or 3651 with a matte laminate, no issues yet!

HecklnDecalr

One reason for vinyl not sticking to walls is low-VOC paint. We have been having issues with it more and more as the paint industry goes "environmentally friendly". We have even had ij40 come up on the edges and wall vinyl like mpi2611 will fall right off as you walk out the door. Always good to do an adhesion test on any jobs that are a decent size.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Give Panorama Wall & Walk a try...it's used for floor graphics (carpet, concrete, etc.) but I've done some tests on walls and it's great. Sticks really well. I have not tested long term as far as removal yet, but that's not usually my worry. These days it's getting something to STICK. Also it is textured so looks like high end wallpapered graphics.
And what really was awesome....the profile was available and HP certified for download.
http://www.cgxusa.com/products/panorama-walk-wall-2/