• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall mural

Mattc

I need to put wall mural on my client's restaurant. It's new restaurant and still under construction. The owner of the restaurant asked me for a wall mural in the entrance area.
I went a local sign supply store and purchased orajet 3551. They said the wall has to be satin or gloss painted to put it on. Right now the wall is just bare drywall. I thought I can ask the owner to put fast drying gloss paint in the area. Now, I found out some info from the manufacturer's web site, I have to wait about 3 weeks for new coat of paint cured completely. If I put vinyl too early, the gas from the paint can cause air bubbles. Is this absolute true? The opening of the restaurant is about 10 days away. I don't have time to wait for 3 weeks! please, give me some advise. Thanks!

grafixemporium

Yes, it's true. The paint has to cure. Make sure it's primed well too. Latex paint will easily pull away from the wall if you have to pop up a vinyl panel during installation.

I will say though, I've never tried to apply vinyl straight to unfinished drywall. I imagine it will stick, but you better get it on right the first time. If you have to pop up a panel, I'm sure the paper on the drywall will tear off.

Dave Drane

I can't imagine anything other than a hand painted job for a wall mural??? It just wouldn't be right to apply any thing else but paint. Sorry just my own opinion.. Simple graphics are sometimes the best, even though they look "amateurish"

jdigital

We do a lot of wall murals/covering for retail shops. We use Ultraflexx #59 Suede/#55 Suede. #59 is textured and #55 is smooth. Check out there website for more info. I'm not sure on the wall preparation, but they look great.

Printhead

If the wall is not painted yet you could go with something like 3M 3690 on the bare wall. I'm confident it would adhere admirably.

CL Graphics

I have done a couple and used 3M180cv2 with no problems. I am sure the v3 will work the same. No outgas problems and was applied within a weak of painting. I have a phototex sample I printed last week I am going to do some testing on.

Patrick46

I'd say this needs to be painted, (as Dave has suggested), or tell the customer that they're gonna half to operate their place without a mural for a few weeks....that is if you don't mind eating this job if a problem does arise.

the 'old proverb..."a lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part" comes into play here. Let your customer know what the problem is, and why. If he STILL wants it installed early, then have him sign a release of liability for you...understanding that you cannot warranty this work as it was installed too early, (according to manufacturer's guidelines). This way, if the job does have a problem, then he can PAY you to replace it.

Play this one safe. you don't want this to come back and bite you!

HaroldDesign

Given the time factor, I'd suggest to the customer a 3 canvas gallery-wrap prints (a large tryptic) that can be placed on whatever paint is there by then, and can be moved to different spots, etc in the future. Same printer, different material -make your own frames to stretch it on. Phototex and similar products will not work (will lift paint) on walls that haven't been primed, much less paint that is not fully cured.

Mattc

Wow, that's a neat idea!
I will ask my client about it.
Thank you!

Given the time factor, I'd suggest to the customer a 3 canvas gallery-wrap prints (a large tryptic) that can be placed on whatever paint is there by then, and can be moved to different spots, etc in the future. Same printer, different material -make your own frames to stretch it on. Phototex and similar products will not work (will lift paint) on walls that haven't been primed, much less paint that is not fully cured.