• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wall painting

John Butto

Have not used my fitches in 20 years to paint a wall sign. A friend is opening a bar and wants the outside wall done the old fashion way with paint. My question is that now that the oil based One Shot enamels do not have lasting values as the waterborne acrylics on stucco walls will my fitches still be good with this type of paint or should I find some other brushes to use.

signguy 55

I have used my fitches in latex, I just made sure to wash out good and put back in non detergent motor oil (that's what I use to store them.)

Depending on the size of the lettering, a good quality house painting brush with an angle cut works great, (2" size, polyester, works in oil or latex) fills in a lot quicker than a fitch, still use the fitch for the intricate stuff.

OldPaint

RONAN.............still makes some good paint. and SHERWIN- WILLIAMS makes some darn good INDUSTRIAL OIL BASED paint........as do other paint manf. LATEX to me is still not up to snuff for me. i try it ever now and again.............still not impressed.

Craig Sjoquist

Since i still do alot of hand lettering and walls being one of them

I still use 1shot lettering for this ...but ...now use a latex for backgrounds & panels or large letters that a regular small good house brush will control well with a good sharp edge and corner on

1shot for lettering under 2 ft about ...then if you want it to last over 3 years Ronans Aquathane UV clear gloss

but since vinyl does not last as well in the hot sun I don't worry about it... and charge at least a 1/3 more for clear ...also use it on smaller prints instead of laminate

Pat Whatley

I would personally forget about your fitches, especially if you've kept them oiled. I've never had any luck getting the oil out well enough to get acrylics to flow out well. I'm sure I'll get slammed for this but I'd use a combination of house painting brushes and cheap, white nylon bristled watercolor brushes from Michaels. They've got outstanding flow control and snap to them.

Add Flotrol to the paint and you'll be surprised how much it will flow like enamel.