• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall vinyl, Can you use rtape for this type and what's the best way to do this job

J

john1

Hey guys, I have a local fitness center wanting their logo on their wall. The vinyl would be 26" x 20' in size and i was wondering what the easiest way to do this would be. 2 pieces? If so, how do you do seams the best way?

I'll be cutting it on my versacamm since it tracks close to perfect over my plotter.

Also, If i'm going to use Oracal 631 vinyl, can i use a medium tack r tape application tape or do i need to use the HT55 oracal tape for this?

Thanks!

showcase 66

I have been using Rtape 4075-RLA with no problems. It releases pretty good. Biggest thing I have found with using 631 is making sure the wall is really really clean. I use water with a little alcohol on a rag to clean the wall just before applying the vinyl. Makes a huge difference.

Also wall are so forgiving when it comes to applying. I dont use a squeegee until I have the whole piece up on the wall. I use my hand as the squeegee. Then I go over the decal with the squeegee really good before I pull the tape.

Is it really 26 inches by 20 feet?

As for the seams. I usually make it where it has about 3/16 overlap. Once you have applied it and use a little heat to press it to the wall better you will never see it.

Edserv

When applying to interior or exterior walls, you have to be REALLY careful about the substrate. Our rep from Montroy recently told me about a "stress kit" to determine the best vinyl to apply to any surface. It's apparently a 3M test kit that helps with determining the best vinyl to apply to any surface.
We're in Hawaii, and have been experiencing many challenges applying wall vinyl to interior and exterior surfaces. What works on a particular wall (inside or out, with the same or similar paint finish) doesn't always work on other similar or same walls. I'm looking forward to trying one of these test kits before we do our next shopping mall or interior application.
Hope this helps!
Chris
lets go banners / tsunami wraps.com

Morgeaux

Medium tack is just fine. Cut it in a single run, tape it in a solid piece using the hinge method, then cut the backing into sections so you can remove them without losing the overall spacing. 100% of our sales are to individuals installing them themselves, and we've had a lot of success using that method, even on large installations.

Cheers!
Morgan

Letterbox Mike

+1, cut in one piece, top hinge on the wall and cut into smaller sections.

And I'd use a medium tack tape, high tack may cause issues with 631 since it's a lower-tack vinyl.

Sign Eagle

We recently had a problem with a painted wall. Apparently some paints have something in them to make them dirt resistant and/or easy to clean, what ever it is, the vinyl didn't have much bite and started to curl with in a week or so. You would do well to try a strip of vinyl and make sure it have a good bite.

CES020

Yeah, that could be silicone. I painted and outdoor sign with a paint about 3 years ago, let it dry for a couple of days, maybe a week, then went to apply the vinyl. Wouldn't stick at all. You apply it, it would come right back off with the transfer tape. Started trouble shooting and traced it down to what I was told was silicone in the paint. The paint store told me that it's what makes paint durable and give you the ability to clean them for longer periods of time without losing color as quickly, and it was something they were starting to do with more and more paint.

I have no idea if that's true, but it's what I was told.

Sign Eagle

We have used Orical and Avery wall film, I'm not in the office and I don't remember the material nuumbers, but they are both a heavy 6mil material, and we install with felt squeege with no tape, which save a lot of timeapplying and removing the tape. For a long wall we unrolll 15-20 ft to make sure we are running square, then take the backing paper off about 12" on the end and rub it down then one person holds the roll of material and starts rolling the backing paper while a second person uses the squeege. When you get to the end your finished and don't have to go back removing the paper. Both the the heavy weight wall materials work great without tape.

J

john1

You think my Roland Versacamm can cut this job on track for 20'? I'm picking up the check for the job tomorrow so hopefully i have no probs.

showcase 66

We recently had a problem with a painted wall. Apparently some paints have something in them to make them dirt resistant and/or easy to clean, what ever it is, the vinyl didn't have much bite and started to curl with in a week or so. You would do well to try a strip of vinyl and make sure it have a good bite.

Yeah, that could be silicone. I painted and outdoor sign with a paint about 3 years ago, let it dry for a couple of days, maybe a week, then went to apply the vinyl. Wouldn't stick at all. You apply it, it would come right back off with the transfer tape. Started trouble shooting and traced it down to what I was told was silicone in the paint. The paint store told me that it's what makes paint durable and give you the ability to clean them for longer periods of time without losing color as quickly, and it was something they were starting to do with more and more paint.

I have no idea if that's true, but it's what I was told.

Most latex based paint takes at least 2 weeks to fully cure. In higher humidity areas it can take up up to 2 months depending on how many coats you use. I have done a lot of interior wall graphics for people. Like I said before, your wall prep is key to make an easier install. I have tried many different products to clean a wall and the best has been just water and alcohol. Not a lot of alcohol. maybe 6 parts water 1 part alcohol.

You think my Roland Versacamm can cut this job on track for 20'? I'm picking up the check for the job tomorrow so hopefully i have no probs.
You should be fine. Maybe slow the machine down a little bit.

J

john1

Well picked up the check today and ordered the materials.

I had a oracal 631 sample that i put higher tack rtape one and tested on their wall. Beautiful success so i ordered high tack to give me some lee way and 631.

Should be here next Thursday due to the holiday. I'll keep everyone updated

I underbid my biggest competitor around here to get the job since things are slow for me right now. Still making a few hundred on it so it's good!

CES020

Most latex based paint takes at least 2 weeks to fully cure. In higher humidity areas it can take up up to 2 months depending on how many coats you use.

While that works great in theory, my customer wouldn't allow the sign that has their building name and address on it to be blank for 2 weeks while the paint dries. Few of us probably ever get to work in ideal conditions when it comes to this type of stuff.

I did some vinyl on a wall a couple of years ago, in a retail store. When I removed the transfer tape, along came the paint. You could see the drywall dust on the paint. They didn't prime the wall, they didn't even wipe it down. They sanded the mud, painted right over that and done. The painter got paid and was long gone. You never know what's under the paint.

It's hit and miss from my limited experience.

J

john1

Well i cut the vinyl tonight all in one big shot, versacamm cut it flawless :)

Install will be late this week!

J

john1

Bam! Took me and my father 2 hours to install. No seams

You can see my 32" BS there which we used to lay it down then used a hand squeegee to finalize adhesion

Attachments

• 76503_170339456322312_100000387775749_424723_5905779_n.jpg
    76503_170339456322312_100000387775749_424723_5905779_n.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 93