Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall vinyl

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by GVP, May 8, 2013.

1. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Greetings!

We are producing a digitally printed wall graphic on Oracal 3628 with 210 matte laminate. It will consist of four vertical panels. My question is, would you put an overlap between the panels, and if so, by how much? The graphic is going on to semi-gloss painted drywall.

Thanks!
    Graham

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    usually 1/2" here :thumb:

(unless using phototex -- then 1/2" overlap, cut through, remove for a butt seam)

3. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

1". And it's going to pull at the seams and around the edges FYI. If it's not too late I'd highly recommend using Phototex over the vinyl, the seams/edges won't pull or shrink over time, and you can double-cut the seams and strip them so there's no overlap left.

4. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Appreciate the info. Does anyone know who distributes Phototex in Canada?

5. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
  6. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    +1 phototex. I also use graphitex from General Formulations. great stuff.
    there's also a few other brands that carry the same wall graphic media. Optima Optisolve Wall Tex (advantage sign supply), MacTac DecoArt, JarHead, etc.

just drop those names to whatever supplier you already have in Canada and I'm sure they have options for you.

7. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    Went and looked at the Graphitex, and it fits the bill for a project I am working on. Question for those who have tried it. The produt bulletin says its for short term applications, and that it's removable up to 6 months. How long would it stay up inside and look goodif it was meant for a longer term, (a year or two?)

I'm amazed how hard it is to find an economical film to use for wall graphics...

8. bigben

bigben Very Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Quebec
    I've tried the phototex copy made by ultraflex named fabritac. For me, it's the same product for 0.20$/sf cheaper.

9. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    same question I had for all the booths at the ISA show. Concensus was that it is 6months clean-removeability, adhesive hardens after that and is more difficult to remove. Graphic should hold up as long as you want, the woven polyester won't shrink/curl.

I've had my sample print of phototex on my wall here at the shop for over a year now, no issues. sample print of graphictex for even longer, with no issues. looking like both of these are the real deal.

I just installed a 60" x 12'6" mural for a client today, 30min seamless install, I'll be sure to post if there's any issues over the next few years :)

10. PhotoTex Group Inc.

PhotoTex Group Inc. President

Mar 25, 2011
    boardman, OH
    Photo Tex

Photo Tex separates itself form the alternatives with a US Patented adhesive. A simple test is to rub with your thumb 10 times on the adhesive and see if the alternatives ball up. Photo Tex does not :rock-n-roll: Reason they do, is the adhesive is not cured with the same process we use. Also the Photo Tex adhesive is 100% cured and therefore you do not need to remove after 6 months and worry about residue or damage to a wall. Read everyone's technical bulletin and compare. I am happy to send anyone a free sample to compare and if price is an issue, simply ask me. walterjr@phototexgroup.com - Entering our 10th year - thank you Walter Gierlach Jr., President

11. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

+1 phototex....good stuff

12. knucklehead

knucklehead Active Member

Sep 24, 2007
    +2 PhotoTex Everything else is just an imitation, in my humble opinion.

13. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

phototex

Call Todd at All Square for PhotoTex.....he'll fix you up.

14. CS-SignSupply

CS-SignSupply Very Active Member

We have the GF GraphiTEX in 54" x 100' rolls. PM for pricing including ground shipping.