• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wall wrap around corners

J Hill Designs

how do you veteran installers handle seams/overlaps on a wall wrap that goes around corners?

TIA for any tips, was thinking butt-seam to install, then overlay 1" strips at the seams/corners and hope for registration?

Attachments

• mock.jpg
    mock.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 122

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How do professional wallpaper installers deal with corners?

It depends on the pattern, kind of paper/vinyl [pre-glued or not] if you know how to book properly and if the walls are perfectly plumb. Each corner inside or out will determine how the next strip will go down. Remember, they are generally 28" wide and you make the piece 4" or so bigger top and bottom to make sure you have even tops and bottoms. You butt, so if yur pattern allows, you won't see a 1% or 2% tilt, like you would with graphics. I've wallpapered my share of rooms in my time from bathrooms to kitchens to full blown family rooms. I've papered ceilings, too. Wall paper/vinyl, never.... and I mean never.... bubbles or tents at all. It goes down 100% flat each and every time. You can not mess up wall papering, unless you're a real idiot. So, in my opinion, there's no comparison.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
each wall section will be its own panel -- butt seam should be fine then? (MPI2611)

I would make an ever-so-slightly overlap. If you butt, there could [notice, I said could] be some shrinkage and that might show up and lift at an unwanted spot, down the road. Make each panel individually, but keep a little of the before and after picture on each panel and trim back accordingly. Use a very sharp blade.

player

It depends on the pattern, kind of paper/vinyl [pre-glued or not] if you know how to book properly and if the walls are perfectly plumb. Each corner inside or out will determine how the next strip will go down. Remember, they are generally 28" wide and you make the piece 4" or so bigger top and bottom to make sure you have even tops and bottoms. You butt, so if yur pattern allows, you won't see a 1% or 2% tilt, like you would with graphics. I've wallpapered my share of rooms in my time from bathrooms to kitchens to full blown family rooms. I've papered ceilings, too. Wall paper/vinyl, never.... and I mean never.... bubbles or tents at all. It goes down 100% flat each and every time. You can not mess up wall papering, unless you're a real idiot. So, in my opinion, there's no comparison.

I was referring to how do profession wallpaper installers deal with corners.

skarekrow

How do professional wallpaper installers deal with corners?

Going into an inside corner, your piece should wrap around the corner 1/8th to 1/4 inch on to the adjacent wall.
The next piece overlaps the previous pieces' edge.

Around the outside corners, you'd be better off if you dont have to cut & overlap, preferring to wrap the
product right around, if the corner is pretty plumb

Wallpaper can indeed 'tent' on the inside corners, especially if it is stretched going into that corner.
\And Yes, it's easy for an amatuer to screw up in this area with wallpaper.
(I have over 27 years stripping & hanging wallpaper with over 100,000 rolls stripped/hung.)

"Any idiot can do it (sic)" ... Yeah, I've seen their work!

player

Going into an inside corner, your piece should wrap around the corner 1/8th to 1/4 inch on to the adjacent wall.
The next piece overlaps the previous pieces' edge.

Around the outside corners, you'd be better off if you dont have to cut & overlap, preferring to wrap the
product right around, if the corner is pretty plumb

Wallpaper can indeed 'tent' on the inside corners, especially if it is stretched going into that corner.

\And Yes, it's easy for an amatuer to screw up in this area with wallpaper.
(I have over 27 years stripping & hanging wallpaper with over 100,000 rolls stripped/hung.)

"Any idiot can do it (sic)" ... Yeah, I've seen their work!

Thank you skarekrow.