• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Wall wrap or banner vs Mural - need advice...

Cyclynn

Hello, Good People! I need some input... I am a signmaker, but also a Rotarian. We have been working with our City of refurbishing a downtown courtyard. All the groundwork we could do is now completed. The next potential project facing us is a wall mural. The existing wall (120'x60' - ish) doesn't look good. The wall is owned by a local business, not the City. He has given permission to paint a mural. The quality of the wall is not in great shape. I don't know how to assess these things: it is stuccoed, probably a loooong time ago. The stucco is cracking, mostly along the bottom portion of the wall. One Rotarian thinks there is water running down between the stucco and the brick (or concrete block - not sure which). I know the owner really wants to sell the building, so my guess is that he will not be interested in repairing the wall before we paint (if we paint). The City probably won't step forward to repairing the wall since it is a private business. So.. then it comes down to Chamber or the Rotary club - I can see resistance in both cases. It has been suggested we do a wall wrap. I don't know anything about this procedure. Vinyl adhered to the wall will run into the same problems with the structural integrity of the wall's surface, but what about a banner the size of the wall? Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I have many questions....

Billct2

That is a huge banner, getting it to lie flat will be a challenge on a budget. Also you will still need to assess how sound the wall is for anchors. Maybe instead of one big mural you could do a series of panels which would make installation more managable.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Advertise in your local newspaper and word of mouth that you're looking for a few good rattle can artists and that'll solve everyone's problem.

Seriously..... I would not invest a penny into fixing up someone's property so they can sell it easier. Perhaps the new people who will THEN own it.... paint right over it and all of your money will be wasted. How close is the right of way where instead of fixing the old wall, you could erect a nice new wall for less money and have a nice new canvas to do as you wish on it ??

flyplainsdrifta

Advertise in your local newspaper and word of mouth that you're looking for a few good rattle can artists and that'll solve everyone's problem.

Seriously..... I would not invest a penny into fixing up someone's property so they can sell it easier. Perhaps the new people who will THEN own it.... paint right over it and all of your money will be wasted. How close is the right of way where instead of fixing the old wall, you could erect a nice new wall for less money and have a nice new canvas to do as you wish on it ??

honestly i think gino makes the best case. subbing out the job for local graffiti artists. most guys would s*** a brick if they knew they had town clearance to paint on a wall like that. the problem is finding local artists who will work within parameters that the city lays down. i have a few friends who have done things like this for local towns who want murals done but don't want to fork over big big bucks. they laid out some sketches, got one approved, and him and his assistants went to work. done in about a day and a half and it looked amazing.

but a wall wrap that big would be insane. doable, but insane imo.

AKwrapguy

Hello, Good People! I need some input... I am a signmaker, but also a Rotarian. We have been working with our City of refurbishing a downtown courtyard. All the groundwork we could do is now completed. The next potential project facing us is a wall mural. The existing wall (120'x60' - ish) doesn't look good. The wall is owned by a local business, not the City. He has given permission to paint a mural. The quality of the wall is not in great shape. I don't know how to assess these things: it is stuccoed, probably a loooong time ago. The stucco is cracking, mostly along the bottom portion of the wall. One Rotarian thinks there is water running down between the stucco and the brick (or concrete block - not sure which). I know the owner really wants to sell the building, so my guess is that he will not be interested in repairing the wall before we paint (if we paint). The City probably won't step forward to repairing the wall since it is a private business. So.. then it comes down to Chamber or the Rotary club - I can see resistance in both cases. It has been suggested we do a wall wrap. I don't know anything about this procedure. Vinyl adhered to the wall will run into the same problems with the structural integrity of the wall's surface, but what about a banner the size of the wall? Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I have many questions....

So I think that it depends on your budget and time willing to invest. A artist to paint a mural can be $$$$$$. A wall wrap would probably be the least expensive. Also you probably don't want to go down to the bottom of the wall anyways as that part would get damaged anyways. I the wall is about 60ft tall, just do the top 30-40 as this will probably get the most viability anyways.

3M makes a material and laminate specifically for this application. You have to apply it with a heat gun and it takes a little while, but once yo get in the groove it flys by and should only take a day or two. I would just make sure to prep the wall first.

visual800

why waste money on a damaged wall other than stretching banner over it. that is the only thing I would do IF anyhting were to be done at all

ams

Painting is the best option, but as a second option, depending on how bad it is, you could use Walk and Wall.

Jwalk

I painted a wall a few times it was 100'h x 150'ish w ,,,link below
http://muralform.com/sign-mural-portfolio/bmw-x4-promotional-wall-mural/

It was painted three times and one time they chose to use the heat wrap vinyl.. The cost to do the job was around 80 to 100k for the painted mural.

Im just starting to look into heat wrap vinyl. does anybody know where I shoudl start looking? Cant really find the product when I search for it on line and one print shop I called doesnt even know what im talking about.

clarizeyale

honestly i think gino makes the best case. subbing out the job for local graffiti artists. most guys would s*** a brick if they knew they had town clearance to paint on a wall like that. the problem is finding local artists who will work within parameters that the city lays down. i have a few friends who have done things like this for local towns who want murals done but don't want to fork over big big bucks. they laid out some sketches, got one approved, and him and his assistants went to work. done in about a day and a half and it looked amazing.

but a wall wrap that big would be insane. doable, but insane imo.

I'm into this as well. but hand painting on stucco is gonna suck a$$ so find someone who can do spray... (I'm assuming the wall isn't smooth at all)

I wonder where this is at... if it's a graffiti artist, I'm sure they'll be down to throw down for a good budget (hopefully) so long as you can provide a lift of some sort. :))

Cyclynn

That is an interesting idea, but one that probably wouldn't work. I see your point about investing in a private person's property, too... one of the major hurdles. I need to talk to him to see where his head is at about it. Thank you for your reply!

studio 440

That is an interesting idea, but one that probably wouldn't work. I see your point about investing in a private person's property, too... one of the major hurdles. I need to talk to him to see where his head is at about it. Thank you for your reply!
first off what is your budget that would really help in knowing the best way to go foward

Cyclynn

Part of my research involves figuring out how much it would cost. Then I propose it to the Rotary club and we see if we are willing to find the funds it's going to take. So far the figure tossed out was about $100k, probably for either paint or wrap. That's going to be too much for my club to want to take it on. That kind of money can be better spent elsewhere. Of course, we're all about partnerships, and it is possible we can put together that kind of money through downtown economic development stakeholders, but the wall repair issue must come first. I'm discouraged... the wall looks like crap right now. A boring, beige, neutral color with a weird blue racing stripe across it. I doubt the owner of the building will be interested in repairing the wall. I don't even know when the wall was stuccoed, but it doesn't look good right now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you framed the wall out with scab lumber, use some inexpensive 6mm ACM and printed directly to the panels, you'd be out of it for less than $20,000. That does not include the labor for installing it. I figured you could get volunteers for that and perhaps some company to donate two lifts. That way, one crew could be installing the framework and the second crew following close behind, putting up the panels. Two or three days work with the right kinda people working on the ground.

Cyclynn

You know what? That is a really interesting idea... thank you for that! I'm going to look into it, and see if the Club wants to move forward with it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Remember, it will greatly depend on the wall having enough structural strength to hold some tapcon screws for the frame work.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Might want to check with these guys:
http://lindsignspring.com/
They had a case study in one of their email blasts - covering up a crumbling wall with one of their banner frames to get the city inspectors to settle down.