• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall wrap

sghobbies

I have a customer that wants an interior wall wrapped. It's painted block. Semi-smooth I would say. We've never attempted to wrap over block before. Any suggestions? Will IJ180 work? Any pointers or pitfalls I should be aware of?
Thanks

MikePro

3M makes a material, much like 180cv3, that's perfect for concrete block. Why i can't think of the number right now is beyond me.... i think its IJ380Cv3?

SignLogic

3M IJ8624 and 8580 lam. Only 6 month outdoor, but I've done it on inside block walls and it's been up for well over a year with no problems.

SignLogic

The 8580 is a special high heat lam because you need to apply some serious heat to this stuff after you apply it to get it to conform to the brick. Ask your 3M rep or where you buy your 3M from. They should have an informative DVD that I highly recommend watching before using this stuff. There's also some special tools you might want to invest in.

CheapVehicleWrap

3M rough surface is 6 months outdoor but Mactac's is 18. I suspect with proper application and conditions both would last longer. My Mactac is about a year old and looks as good as day 1.

cdiesel

The product you want is actually IJ8624 for a base film and 8524 for the lam. Not 8580. 8580 is made for use with IJ380.

MacTac's RoughWrap works well too. Keep in mind you MUST use the proper tools and techniques for any of the films to work. Tools are about $400 for one set including the heat gun. You'll need a heat gun that'll go to at least 1100*. Your standard Home Depot gun won't work. Also, application of this stuff is very slow, about 20-25 sf per hour, so charge accordingly.

Indoor, any of the films will last indefinitely.

Letterbox Mike

The product you want is actually IJ8624 for a base film and 8524 for the lam. Not 8580. 8580 is made for use with IJ380.

MacTac's RoughWrap works well too. Keep in mind you MUST use the proper tools and techniques for any of the films to work. Tools are about $400 for one set including the heat gun. You'll need a heat gun that'll go to at least 1100*. Your standard Home Depot gun won't work. Also, application of this stuff is very slow, about 20-25 sf per hour, so charge accordingly.

Indoor, any of the films will last indefinitely.

+1, make sure you build in PLENTY of time for the installation, very slow is an understatement! And make sure if this is not something you do a lot of that you build the cost of the install tools into the price.

sghobbies

Thanks for the insight. Good thing I haven't quoted this yet, I was totally unprepared. I had already spoke with GRIMCO today about the vinyl and was aware of the applicators that 3M sells for textured surfaces, but I didn't realize how much heat or time was required. I would have been scratching my head when I showed up for the install with an average heat gun and my rolle pro......lol. But seriously, thanksfor the advice.

Malkin

Is the IJ8624 product necessary for block that is painted?

I have seen quite a bit of painted block that has some texture, but smooth enough that regular IJ180c should be able to handle with some heat and a rollepro. Maybe you just have to see it in person to make that call.

sghobbies

Is the IJ8624 product necessary for block that is painted?

I have seen quite a bit of painted block that has some texture, but smooth enough that regular IJ180c should be able to handle with some heat and a rollepro. Maybe you just have to see it in person to make that call.

I asked my grimco Rep that very question.

Donny7833

+1 for Mactac. I've also used Arlon wrap film for a 4x8 in our local school. Worked very well, but I like Mactac better. Slow, slow going. Allow plenty of time. It took a solid hour to install the 4x8 on painted cinder block.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Arlon DPF 8000

I think Arlon DPF 8000...if my memory is correct would be a great solution as well for the wall. Ive heard great things about it and we use a fair amount of DPF 6000 XRP for truck sides and other printing jobs. For the money...almost cant beat it.

W

wetgravy

One thing you should be aware of, heat guns go by a different name ... paint strippers. Have you inspected the wall in person? I ask because I have seen painted brick walls that largely only have the grout grooves an a slightly ripply surface from where the painted surface has covered fine details up. plus with most paint used on the interior being latex, a heat gun can bubble, and melt the paint (and that is a home despot heat gun) so you can scrape it off with a paint scraper.

Craig Sjoquist

Paint it, plenty mural artist or wall dogs that can do a a outstanding job, last for years or can change it easy with repainting.