• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall wraps

mudmedia

If anyone has knowledge of printing and installation on full color wall wraps can you please inbox me got a few questions before I get to printing.

Thanks in advance

Intense01

I am interested in the same thing. I have a job to do about 500 sq ft of wall. Wondering what material everyone is using.

Mudmedia- Can you post up what answers you get?

Letterbox Mike

FYI I recommended he use Phototex if he needs something self-adhesive. We've tried just about every wall-specific vinyl in the book and Phototex is the only one I feel like I can really trust long-term. We've got jobs up with it that are 5 years old that are still holding strong. Every time we've use any other vinyl product it's started to lift eventually. Phototex also makes for a very nice clean install because you can butt-cut the seams after installation so there are no overlaps.

Another great option is true wallpaper, my preference is Korographics. This is pasted up like traditional wallpaper so it can require outsourcing the installation to a paper hanger, but for a permanent installation this is hard to beat.

Intense01

Does the Phototex go on pretty easy? Does it have Air release? Need to be laminated? I have been using 3m 180CV3 for wall wraps but I want to cut down on my costs a little as it seems to be overkill.

Letterbox Mike

anyone have nightmare stories RE: avery MPI 2611?

Yes! I have nightmare stories about just about every "wall vinyl" out there, seriously. I've yet to see a painted drywall wall that has a surface that is smooth enough that any vinyl will stick to it long term, regardless of what kind of adhesive it has. Vinyl shrinks and expands, eventually it's going to work itself loose. hat's why for self-adhesive projects Phototex works so well, it's fabric and doesn't expand or shrink like vinyl, it stays where you put it.

We did a 9'x18' wall in our shop with 2611 once. It was painted with semi-gloss latex (good quality), the paint was dry for 6+ months. Properly prepped the wall and properly applied the vinyl. Came in the next morning and much of it was lifting back off the wall. Resqueegeed, same thing next day. I've had similar things happen with Oracal's wall vinyl. FYI we replaced this wall with Phototex 3 years ago and it still looks perfect.

Intense01: Phototex does not have an air-egress adhesive, rather it's got a "gummy" adhesive that's very forgiving to work with. We've never had an issue installing it with respect to bubbles or trapped air. It can't be laminted as it's actually a fabric, not a vinyl. I've not tried liquid laminating it but I suspect it may be possible, not sure though, and I don't know that it's really all that necessary, it's pretty durable and scratch resistant as-is. As I said previously, when you apply it you'll apply with an overlapped seam just like regular vinyl. But you can then double-cut the seam and strip out the underlying and overlaying off-cuts to give you a perfectly smooth butt-cut with no overlap. If you line your seams up well and do this, you'll never ever see a seam in the material and I've never had one pull apart.

HulkSmash

FYI I recommended he use Phototex if he needs something self-adhesive. We've tried just about every wall-specific vinyl in the book and Phototex is the only one I feel like I can really trust long-term. We've got jobs up with it that are 5 years old that are still holding strong. Every time we've use any other vinyl product it's started to lift eventually. Phototex also makes for a very nice clean install because you can butt-cut the seams after installation so there are no overlaps.

Another great option is true wallpaper, my preference is Korographics. This is pasted up like traditional wallpaper so it can require outsourcing the installation to a paper hanger, but for a permanent installation this is hard to beat.

dude have you seen the korographics textured wall paper. it's so sexy

Letterbox Mike

dude have you seen the korographics textured wall paper. it's so sexy

The self-adhesive stuff? I've got a sample here but never really messed with it, I need to though, I'd like an alternative to Phototex when someone wants an actual texture. I love love love Korographics stuff though, they have some insanely cool textures in their regular wallpaper line.

knucklehead

Another thing with the Phototex is, if your customer wanted/had to relocate, or something. They could actually remove the graphics from the wall, roll them up, and re-apply to the new space. Would kinda be an extreme situation, but it can be done. I don't know of any other wall graphic product one could do that with.