• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wallpaper protection

Bly

I've not done any printed wallpapers yet but have a customer who is keen to buy some off me on an ongoing basis. Well, according to her anyway.
The main question I have is do these need a clearcoat for abrasion resistance?
Some of the samples I've been given seem fairly fragile.
We use Rolands - eco solvent inks.
If you recommend a clearcoat, which brand/type?

Letterbox Mike

We print lots and lots of Korographics wall paper, some goes up without clearcoat, some with. It's definitely more prone to scratching without, the texture makes if pretty vulnerable. If it's a high-traffic area like a hallway or something we recommend it. If it's a low-traffic area like a lobby or office it's a tossup.

We use Clearshield type LL matte when we clear it.

grafixemporium

Probably a stupid question... but do you clear coat it on the table or after installation on the wall? Just thinking you might get a more consistent rolled on clear if you did it on the wall. I guess that might depend on the installation environment too. Obviously not going to roll on clear coat in a dirty or dusty area. I'm sure I'd prefer to roll it on in a controlled environment at the shop. Just thinking out loud.

I'm very interested in experimenting with the korographics products. We've done some wall murals with adhesive vinyl and unless the surface is smooth, it's a pain in the neck. We need a good, cost effective solution for textured and painted walls.

miker

I would recommend after it has been installed. This also helps seal the edges to help prevent long term failure.

Letterbox Mike

We've done both. It's hard to roll on in the shop, just because most wallpaper jobs are fairly large and it takes a ton of space to lay out all the prints and roll them. Much easier to roll it on after it's up. Sometimes we send it out and have it liquid laminated by a vendor (same thing, just applied with a machine instead of a roller), but consistency has been an issue with this. The only downfall to not coating it prior to installation is it can be scratched during installation if your installer is not careful with it...