• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Walmart Tire and Lube center sucks!

John L

Different motors have different cycle times but.. If there was only 2 quarts left in oil pan it usually doesnt take but a few seconds for the oil pump to pick that up, run dry, and the engine has compromised protection until the 2 quarts return to the oil pan to start the cycle over.

I don't really know if its designed in or not, but it's fact that a lot of cars computers sends a "crazy" signal to all the gauges (to get your attention) when something urgent is at hand (low oil, over heat, etc).

Marie

Just edit the title of this thread from "Walmart Tire and Lube center sucks" to WALMART SUCKS.

Rickey J

Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave knowing how his store are being ran. Its a shame but that's how a lot of businesses are running ZERO customer service.

Fanaticus

I used to drive around in a Pontiac Fiero. Went to walmart to have new tires and oil done. I sat in the little room and waited. I heard the air wrench on the lug nuts, stood to watch and watched them snap off the bolt, look around, call over another guy, chuckle, then continue.

When I got the car back he told me that it snapped off because there was dirt in it and it jammed up the nut, that the last guy who took the tires off must have dropped the nut in gravel and got sand in it or something. The last guy to take the tires off was me and I'm 100% certain I never dropped it in dirt. ANYWAY.........

Also, then I overheated shortly down the road. After getting it towed to a real mechanic I was told by the real mechanic that the coolant tubes had been crushed "pinched" so that fluid could not pass through them. They were pinched right where the walmart lift had been placed.

UNfortunately, the overheating caused a crack in the head which also needed to be replaced.

So my walmart experience, which cost me roughly $400, ended up costing me another $1800 or so to fix what they f-ed up and damage caused by their f-up.

I never said anything to walmart, but gladly tell everybody not to go to walmart for any work to be done on a vehicle. Walmart is where you go when you want something for cheap and do not care much about quality, take your vehicle to a place where they know what they're doing and don't hire 18 year old stoners who couldn't care less about their job or your vehicle.

showcase 66

Why would you change your oil every 2 months?
Why would you trust someone at the bottom of the mechanic chain with your car?

My wife puts about 1200 miles a month on it and I usually have about 600-800 a month. So every 2 months or so we put anywhere from 3200 to 4000 miles on it in 2 months.

Changing oil on a car is easiest thing to do on a car except for maybe adding air to the tire. Which I will not have Walmart do either now.

After posting this and b!tching about it, my wife came out to told me something that put things in a little better perspective. Walmart still sucks but I was complaining about something that could be fixed/replace.

One of my really good family friends (basically like an aunt) daughter was killed in a car accident yesterday morning. She was like a little sister to me. She was in her first year of college and really the first time she has ever been away from her family. Apparently a semi ran a red light t-boning her on the drivers side.

Here I am complaining about a stupid company. Makes you really realize whats important. I mean I know whats important but we get so side tracked with all this other sh!t in our lives that sometimes we overlook them.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Last week my truck needed an oil change. If you've never done an oil change on a diesel you haven't lived. I have always gone back to the dealer's service department for this and any other necessary service. Since I was just three weeks into recovery from a total knee replacement it was a lot easier to go to the local jiffy lube than to drive to town.

They changed the oil and all that and I have no complaints...but... The service cost more than it would have at the dealer where not only would I have received the same service but they would have rotated my tires and washed it to boot. That, and as I drove away, I contemplated the wisdom of turning over my $50,000 truck to someone with tattoos on their neck, a ring in their nose, the apparent vocabulary of a slow third grader, whose last position was probably gathering up shopping carts in a supermarket parking lot.

At the dealership they provide at least the illusion of professionalism while performing more service at a lower price. That and the assumption that they are, at least relatively, experts on my truck. Why would I go anywhere else?

Last edited:

rjssigns

I do my own oil changes. Too many horror stories of the drain plug falling out or the idiots stripping the threads.

And yes I change oil on my F350 Diesel. All 4 gallons of it. Fortunately I only do it once a year because of extremely low usage.(<5K)

Fanaticus

At the dealership they provide at least the illusion of professionalism while performing more service at a lower price. That and the assumption that they are, at least relatively, experts on my truck. Why would I go anywhere else?

I agree. I bought a 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid a couple of months ago and took it to a local ford dealer to have some service work done, including a 30,000 mile maintenance service. I was updated about everything they were doing the whole time, they kept any replaced filters for me to examine, even kept the window wipers I wanted replaced so I could see they were indeed falling apart.

They admitted that they did not know how to keep the engine running while performing some fuel service (hybrid engines shut down when idling) and had to call Ford to find out how to keep it running.

I was very impressed. Also, since the service was done I'm averaging an extra 2 miles per gallon, bring it up to 34 mpg on average. Response time is quicker, engine runs smoother, etc etc

I like taking vehicles to dealers because, generally, it gets fixed right the first time and the hourly rate is barely more than a guy in a garage type of mechanic who will try one thing and if it doesn't work bring it back and we'll try something else.... uh uh, the dealers do it right the first time and I'm happy.

Plus, like mentioned above, it gets a decent washing, and a 30-something point inspection. AND I get 2 of the best home made cookies in the world as a token of appreciation. And with Ford Rewards I even get 5% back to use for future services on any vehicle I bring in, regardless of make or model.

genericname

I'm happy so many of you have had positive experiences with your dealers. I ran screaming from mine. My wife and I thought they were great, until they quoted us for replacement of the front brake pads. I was younger, it was my first car, and they knew I was nearly clueless about it. $750.

Would've drove it down the street, but they already had the thing on their hoist, and had already done some other service to it. I had heard horror stories about garages holding cars hostage in the area, so didn't want to push it.

We switched over to another dealer shortly after, and the next time the car got serviced, they told us the brakes needed replacing. $500. Cheaper, sure, but the crooks from the first time didn't even do the work we paid for.

Now we have a great local mechanic who bends over backward for all of his customers, is honest, walks you through a problem, and makes great referrals to other local businesses too.

rjssigns

For the stuff I can't do it goes to a local shop. Good rates and a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty on everything they do.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've had bad experiences in both places, but for the most part, I've always tried to have good reliable people working on our vehicles.

THEN, we bought a diesel this summer and the door locks weren't working correctly. Thought I'll take it to the dealership. Went into the manager behind the Service & Parts counter and asked him how much to fix my door locks............

• Well, you need to bring your vehicle in for a pre-inspection diagnostics analysis.
  • Oh, how long does that take and is it free ??
  • Haha, takes about 15 minutes and it's $89.95 + tax.
  • :omg2: Ya frickin' serious ??
  • Yes.
  • I already know what's wrong, my locks don't work. Didn't you hear me ?? You just need to give me a price on fixing them.
  • Okay, if it's the primary alternating lock switch it's $345.00 plus installation. If it's the secondary alternating lock switch, it's $224.00 plus installation. Do you want us to replace them both and ignore the analysis cost or do you want us to figure it out for you and only charge you what's necessary ??
  • Ahhhh....... I'm just gonna hold onto to these before you want them, too...... and I'll see ya next time I look atcha.

Went to a guy we made some banners and signs for and it cost $26.00 for parts and labor. There were some hidden fuses that we didn't see and evidently one was burned out.

SD&F

I am lucky that I have a couple of local automitve shops who try to be competitive.
They still value customers and actually try to remember your name, even if you are just there a fess times a year. I send my kids there in hopes that they will take good care of their vehicles and learn the importance of changing oil.....

John L

Thats a hoot. The dealership oil change tech was a Subway Sandwich Arteeest last week. Don't kid yourself.

Pat Whatley

Bob and fanaticus, you guys apparently have the best dealers in the country. either that or i've got the worst.

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I always maintain my own vehicles; it helps that we have a very nice shop here at work with a lift. ;)
However, a long time ago I was at Walmart... and they put the sporting goods section near the tire & lube area, so I saw a sign for a $15 or so oil change, and I thought; well that saves me messing with it in the weather and the price is the same - so why not? (their techs should be experienced, right?)

After noticing that the oil change was taking way too long, they finally told me that my drain plug was stripped out so they could not drain the oil, so they could not do the oil change... it was never stripped out before.

When I got in the truck, the hood release handle was on the seat, I went back in and asked to see the manager; who "had not heard they had any trouble", just that my drain plug was stripped. After him asking around someone fessed up that they had broken the handle, and then proceeded to close the hood once they could not remove the drain plug. Oh, and by the way - when they shut the hood they were not sure whether or not they had put the fill cap back on...

No one had a way to open the hood, but I needed to get home (which was not that far away), so I told them I would go ahead and try to drive it home and see if the fill cap was on by if it blew out all over or not.

They ended up paying a bill to the Ford dealership for replacing the hood release cable and the drain plug, and I ended up changing my own oil.

Needless to say, I've never been back.