• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Want to build my own boxes

Happyprinter

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. We are wanting to build our own sign boxes and need to know who supplies metal for them? Also, as the builder, what am I allowed to do as far as wiring the lights , ballasts in the box etc.. Any help would be appreciated.:wavingflag:

Billct2

I used to build my own boxes...now almost every town requires UL listed boxes.
I looked at getting UL listed at one point.... I now buy wholesale.

cgsigns_jamie

Actually... you'll want info on UL 48. That pertains to the sign industry:

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/...ces/certification/safety/signsafety/index.jsp

In order to legally offer illuminated sign you'll need to be listed with either UL, ETL, or MET. It's not cheap either we pay thousands each year to maintain our listing, you gotta pay to play.

Most municipalities will also require you to be a licensed contractor of some sort with proper insurance to install illuminated signs as well.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. We are wanting to build our own sign boxes and need to know who supplies metal for them? Also, as the builder, what am I allowed to do as far as wiring the lights , ballasts in the box etc.. Any help would be appreciated.:wavingflag:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2H...ghting&pg=SA6-PA1#v=onepage&q="ul 48"&f=false

section 6 has the types of electrical signage applications and the UL cert needed. UL 48 cert is for outdoor appliactions. interior signage could have a different UL code needed to pass cert.

housings are everywhere, just look for 'extruded metal sign frame wholsale' and you'll probably get about 100 that can sell you what you need.

Marlene

I used to build my own boxes...now almost every town requires UL listed boxes.
I looked at getting UL listed at one point.... I now buy wholesale.

same here as we used to build our own too. what ever you do don't just do it and say the heck with UL as you will not do your customer's any favors when the electrial inspector makes them take the sign down.

nwsigns

If you need to get UL listed its not cheap - 3k to get started, 1200 a year and 450 per quarter for inspections. There are less expensive options like ETL and MET but still spendy and time consuming. We did it since many property management companies required it no for the Cities.

You have to weigh the factors of how much hassle it is and if you should just sub out the work or not.

Happyprinter

Thanks for all the great info. I was sure that there would be a lot of hoops to jump thru. Any suggestions on companies I could look at to purchase pre-done boxes UL certified?

impressions

Hey there. We are a wholesale manufacture of channel letters and box signs. I would be more than happy to chat with you regarding any questions you have. Call the shop anytime around 11am-4pm I'm normally free. Maybe I can point you in the right directions to get your material cost down. Too much to tell over a message. Wiring is a story in it's self to make sure your sign won't have problems down the road, let alone building it to UL standards Here's my office number 941-925-3415 or email me at sales@wholesalechannelletter.com
Hope I did not offend any admin's by posting my number?
Have a great day everyone!!!

RJ