• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

want to have computer built on a budget

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
I know this has been kicked aroud a lot and I did do some searching on the subject, but my computer is almost 5 years old and the owners of the business have finally decided to get me a new one. From what I have read here it seems that if I get one with an extra hard drive (for scratch) and a good video card it should help me run larger files for printing. We don't do wraps yet but do print some larger signs with fills, backgrounds etc. I know they won't spring for a superputer I was hoping to get one that wouldn't chock every time I used a large file in Photoshop or Corel. We have a local shop that can build it but I don't know if their teckee is up on what my needs are for the puter.

Craig Sjoquist

well 1st you need to know a budget, since your not the one signing the check but suggesting the what to do
then your computer needs
and yes hard drive, ram, video card are very important along with prosessor
look for proven hardware not the cheaper knock offs for home use
can you build it yourself

wraps r kewl

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
I'm guessing around 2k maybe $2500. I have tried to explain how costly the down time is when we have crashes and freezes and wait time for printing. I think it's starting to sink in but the 2 brothers who own the place could care less about a computer. They wouldn't stand still for us trying to build our own, we even have a guy who works herer that used to have a computer shop. There again I think he knows computers but I don't think he knows what the needs are for the designer.

DRPSignsNGrafix

Ram, processor, and video card are important. I had mine built for around 1k. I told them what I run and they built me a good solid system. I chose to do with INTEL cause it's more stable. Yes it's a DUO Core. 2Gig RAM but about to upgrade that, a decent video card which i'm ready to add another better one to it, Might be going with 4 monitors. With a $2500 budget you should be able to build a great system.

weaselboogie

If cost is your issue, I've always had success with refurbished dells. I own 4 of them. The oldest was 8 years old and I finally upgraded 2 years ago. Get the best that you can at the time. Dont' skimp on processor or ram and you shouldn't need to upgrade for at least a couple of years. I think I lucked out, but 2 years ago, I got a 3.4ghz pentium, 2gb ram, raid 160gb, 128mb video, with dvd burner for $550. Like I said, 2 years ago.

Pat Whatley

We just upgraded our main workstation to this system...we added an extra DVD burner, 22" LCD monitor, an extra 100 Gb hard drive and an external 500 Gb drive and still came in at less than $2000.

Our two regular workstations are Dell Dimension 521 systems with dual processors, dual hard drives, 2 Gb Ram, and upgraded to Geoforce 8800 video cards. We've got less than $1000 in each of them and they still don't lag when doing 4' x 8' renderings at 300 dpi.

$2500 will set you up with something that'll keep you happy for a good while.

Bogie

Dude, I picked up one of my computers, a dual core that came with two gigs and a 360, for about $500ish... It was a gateway refurb from www.tigerdirect.com.

The "custom" computers are going to pretty near identical to what you can find there... Only a few times the price.

You want to max the RAM in it... 64bit XP. You want SATA hard drives, and set up an external pair for backups. Don't overclock - you aren't a gamer, and you want reliability. Big fan is good tho...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3169448&CatId=2628

bullcrew

Ram, processor, and video card are important. I had mine built for around 1k. I told them what I run and they built me a good solid system. I chose to do with INTEL cause it's more stable. Yes it's a DUO Core. 2Gig RAM but about to upgrade that, a decent video card which i'm ready to add another better one to it, Might be going with 4 monitors. With a $2500 budget you should be able to build a great system.
4 cards, Why!

bullcrew

4 cards, Why!

Letterbox Mike

I just bought a new computer that would work well for your budget. We got a Dell because it's easy and convenient, but you might be able to have one custom built for cheaper. The specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6400 quad-core processor
4gb ram
dual 80GB Western Digital 10k rpm drives set up in Raid 0
Nvidea 256mb Quadra FX video card
Windows XP pro

Runs like a champ, crazy fast, so far I haven't been able to crash it no matter how hard I try. We store all files on a network-attached hard drive, the Raid 0 drives in the computer are only for programs and performance. I think I ended up paying right at $2500 through dell for the computer, I got them to add in a 30" widescreen for an extra $800 somehow, it's crazy how much more productive you can be with such a big monitor.

OldPaint

$2500 is a suoer computer...
my original 386 DX40 was the most expensive computer ive had.....and it was $1000!!!!! since then ive built all i have except my VAIO. $2500 is gamer land.
i buy all my computer pieces at www.mwave.com
they have bare bones machines and fully built machines and you can pick a choose pieces machine.
good motherboard, high ram video card, 1 gig of regular ram, 2 hard drives of at least 80-120gig, and lots and lots of FANS!!!!!!

bullcrew

That would be two monitor cards. I -really- like a LOT of monitor-real-estate...
WHY? 4 monitors is ridiculous unless your a bar or a night club. OK maybe someone doing RGB spectrums and editing ot on air publications.
Other than that spend the money where its needed like a better cpu and HD along with a tighter ram.

As far as OC'n a rig is perfectly fine if done within specs and they are made to OC a little anywase hence the higher Voltage they can take they expect that they will be OC'd a little. The performance of a OC is probably one of the most noticeable things on a comp.

bullcrew

I just bought a new computer that would work well for your budget. We got a Dell because it's easy and convenient, but you might be able to have one custom built for cheaper. The specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6400 quad-core processor
4gb ram
dual 80GB Western Digital 10k rpm drives set up in Raid 0
Nvidea 256mb Quadra FX video card
Windows XP pro

Similair build Q6600 OCd to 3.6ghx, 4gbs ram 4;4;4;15 2.1v, 2 raptor 150gb drives in raid 0, PC P&C 750 quad power supply, EVGA 8800 gts 678/1741/1063. XP32. and a tec cooler for when I go 4ghz runs.

Stupid fast aside of SCSI set up.
Its stable at 3.6 and und3er the recomended v from intel as well as runs orthos prime small ftts for 8+ hours and ATI tools for multi runs for hours. All within manufacturer specs... It moves in PS and FLEXI.

Oh and only 2 19" widescreen monitors. :D

DRPSignsNGrafix

bullcrew i'm going to 4 monitors cause of all the stuff i keep running on my PC all the time. One will be just for customers to look at. The other 3 will be for me to see. One will be for Email, Internet, IM, One will be for Tools, and the other will be for the stuff i'm working on.