• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

want to run another comp to my summa?

gabagoo

Hey guys, need some info here.

I have a summa d-140 that is used in conjunction with our Mimaki printer and thats all its functions are for us. In other words it sits idle 80% or more of the time. It's a reaaly good cutter and have had no real issues with it.
I also have a graphtec that has some kind of problem cutting properly lately so I was thinking why not use the Summa.

The Flexi we run on the summa is photoprint and has no cut only options unless the graphic is printed first. Thats fine and I can use my Signlab on my laptop and cut vinyl this way.

The question I have is that on the back of the Summa I see what looks like a usb2 port and wondered... can I send info to the cutter using this port?

anybody know? any warnings I should know about if I use it? Also I have never really sent info out from a laptop and wonder what port could I use? There is one port that looks like a monitor type pin pattern available (not sure of its purpose)

FatCat

I also have a D-140 and you're right, it' a great cutter and you're not using it to it's full potential. The D-140 has both a USB and Serial port on the back, and you can hook it up to your computer and send data to either port. (I'm currently using USB.)

I'm not familiar with how Signlab operates, but as long as the proper drivers are there to run the Summa, you should be all set once you get it hooked up via USB. You can also download a copy of the driver and Summa's Winplot software and cut using that as well.

gabagoo

so is it safe to say that I can run usb to usb2 and have this beast cutting vinyl? Until I get the graphtec fixed I need an alternate.

also I wonder is there info lost depending on the length of that cable? I would love to run it about 25' but I doubt I will find one that long.

J Hill Designs

IIRC 5m is longest efficient length, but you can use a hub and second cable to get longer...

of course, that is if i remember correctly...