Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanted to say hi new to the forum and sign world

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gr85z, Sep 12, 2006.

1. gr85z

gr85z Member

Aug 18, 2006
    I am new to the world of sign creation and my wife and I origanily got the cutter to do a few stencils so I could paint her motorcycle and are doing a few decals for some friends. I have asked a few questions on the boards and have had great response so Thanks ahead of time to all. My wife and I are hoping to get a small business running to supliment her job so she can work from home and all. We will see how it goes. I keep pretty active with being on Volunteer fire department and a 15 month old and the wife :) . Well enough on me..
    See everyone around the board.

James:beer

Tags:
  2. VinylCraft

VinylCraft Active Member

Sep 16, 2005
    Well good luck and welcome James.

3. T.O.3

T.O.3 Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Good luck...

and welcome to signs 101!

4. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    Welcome

...cheers :beer

5. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    I already like this guy's thinking - set the wife up in business!!! :thumb:

Welcome.

6. Arlo Kalon 2.0

Arlo Kalon 2.0 Very Active Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Reno, TX
    Welcome.. I already like you too. I think your post is an excellent example of why some other newbies have crashed and burned here with their first introduction. You did it absolutely right!

I sold my 2nd Gerber setup to a guy who also was setting his wife up with a home business. Over 18 years ago, I went to great lengths to help these total strangers get up and running... they were nice people.

Since then, their home based biz has launched two of their kids into the business with a very well respected shop. Always been glad I got to do that much once. I think you'll do quite good here - at least here's hoping you do. Also, I highly appreciate what you do with the fire dept. People like you routinely put yourself on the front line for the rest of us. Thanks.

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome to :signs101: from PA.

That's what I should've done. Set my wife up in this business. I was happy when I was working for another sign shop, but NOOooooooo-o-o-o, we had to open our own shop.

Good Luck. Next one's on me... :beer

8. Whit

Whit Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Another Big Texas Welcome !!!

9. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    welcome

10. Geary

Geary Very Active Member

Welcome

:Welcome: .....from central California!!!

~Geary

11. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Welcome from Oklahoma

I put my wife through graduate school so I could set up a home business. Now she is a college professor and I'm doing my thing. She thinks I'm a bad house keeper. I tell her "it don't look bad to me". Usually it starts the honeydue list. I lost that too.

Good luck with the sign business.

12. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA.............

13. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    As a self-employed divorced sign gal for 21 years, it has been helpful to me to stay home with my 3 kids while I make signs.
    However, I can't help but remember a time just before I bought my first cutter (after painting signs for 13 years and REALLY struggling to get a loan) when a local guy bought a plotter for his bored wife.
    She took at least 3 jobs from me by underbidding before she decided that signs were boring and he bought her a lingerie shop 6 months later.
    Remember that your new hobby and suplimenting two incomes may be taking food from the mouths of starving artists like me.
    That said, learn to do things the right way by studying some good layout books. Try attending a Letterhead meet (I never heard of painting a motorcycle with stencils!!!) You seem like an OK guy and not like some of the other recent Newbies.
    I do help out two local VFCs by giving them decent prices for firetruck lettering. We could use a firefighter with some taste!
    (don't get me started)
    :)
    love....Jill

14. gr85z

gr85z Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Thanks for all the welcomes

I wanted to say thanks again with all the tips and tricks today I did my first 2 color vinyl I am attaching it hear and one under my other post.
    I haven't figured up what to charge for it yet though. As suggested I am not going to under cut anyone I feel if I can't do the job I will refer to local sign shop and stay simple and easy :thumb: .
    Here is what I did first layer is 3"x6" reflective silver. Second later is 2.75"x5.75" reflective red.Third layer is 3yr outdoor black. Topped with a clear over all of it approx 4"x8".
    Any idea of cost I did 4 all together and not to far off from all looking the same.
    Thanks
    James

15. gr85z

gr85z Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Stencil on motocycle for Jill

Hey Jill
    Stencilling a motorcyle was easy here is a picture of the tank. I stenciled the frog in 3 steps once for bottom layer, srtipe details on the body, once for the over while finishing tank.
    Firefighters with taste huh :wink: I will let the wife know.
    Take Care
    Don't worry also wont under cut local shop
    James

16. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Welcome James.
    ....but I didn't see any pictures?

17. gr85z

gr85z Member

Aug 18, 2006