• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wanting to expand home-based business.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
In most towns and cities I would worry more about breaking the law than breaking the bank. You probably won't be able to run any kind of retail business that requires parking for customers nor will you be able to accept or schedule commercial deliveries. Other restrictions will likely apply, including any exterior ventilation. You may not be able to park commercial vehicles in the street, and perhaps not even in your driveway. Check your zoning laws!

If you are out in the country, zoning laws are usually more relaxed.

After 35 years in the sign business, the number one thing to consider is installation. Anybody can order banners for 89¢ sq. ft., corrugated plastic signs for $1.25 a square foot, and digital printing on vinyl for for $2.00/sq.ft. ($3.00 sq. ft. laminated). The trick to getting the sales is being able to provide installation services.

Also consider you will need to be selling at least $10k/month to pay for your equipment and make enough money to be worth the time. Equipment costs and cost of goods sold will be half of that. Before I would consider investing in a large format printing plant, I would consider adding at least two employees for installation and another to help around the shop. That will bring your minimum sales projections closer to $30k/month, and you will likely feel a little cramped working out of your home (again, if you are out in the country you can just set up in the barn). Although apparently not essential, I would advise having at least one talented artist on the team (the availability of clip art and un-discerning clients may render that less important, but most successful shops are dependant on their design staff).

I already have a commercial shop, aerial service equipment, and trained installers. I currently outsource my digital printing. I would need to be doing at minimum $20k/month in digital printing alone (on top of all my other business) before I would consider investing in a digital printing plant. It's totally do-able, I wish you great success (although I would wait and see how the economy is doing before I spent a nickel)!

Ronc

Hello all, I am new to the forums and would like to reach out for some advice. I currently have a small home based business that I make decals, signs, and I also do alot of HTV on garments. I want to expand and get a large format printer to make bigger signs for indoor's and outdoor's. I don't have the finances to buy a brand new Roland or Mimaki, and I don't want to lease either. I've been looking on ebay, marketplace, craigslist, etc... What would be a good entry level printer to look into that's not going to break the bank. Please help.
I

I have a refurbished EFI H652 flatbed- roll unit that prints great, with a full set of spare parts for $10,000. Call me. Ron
515-707-8344

Ronc

That one is gone but I have a newer one that just has new heads and boards. Same price, includes EFI RIP, and training prior to pickup. Prints a 4x8’ in 5 min Call 515-707-8344

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Judging by many of the things you wrote and some of your misguided questions, it seems you have the heart to do it, but not any knowledge to go beyond what you're already doing. Most anybody can do the printed garments and small signs, but to do what you want, you should have some first hand experience and you're gonna get that with hands-on learning at a sign shop. U-tube just won't cut it, not if you wanna be professional about it. I would suggest you try getting a part-time job at a local sign shop and be honest with the owner of your intentions. Who knows, he/she might help you and the two of you could help each other as time goes on. Otherwise, you're gonna be someone constantly asking questions and not really learning, but just mimicking.

Gino, isn't that how they teach the kids in school nowadays.... remember enough to past the tests at the end, and then, off they go?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think so. Now, ya don't even hafta show up. Just lie, say ya did today's lessons and whose gonna see if you cheat or not on finals ?? We're turning out total moronic blockheads by the millions these days. Glad I'm on my way out. This place ins't gonna be fit for even a cockroach, soon. There goes their long run on earth.