• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wanting to get into Dye-Sub

J

john1

Well after my little fiasco about getting into short run pad printing didn't go over well, I am thinking about getting into dye-sub.

I already have a hix 15" heat press for t-shirts and was thinking of getting a mug press. I think that would cover pretty much everything i would do.

Nobody in my area does any dye sub, So looking to add more value to my services with this.

I guess a few general questions would be:

Is this stuff safe? I work from home...

What's the best place to buy a good mug press, How much should i look to pay for a good NEW one?

Let's say i buy a Epson printer, now what?

What are good vendors for the paper, ink conversion and inks?

Thanks all!

Dakotagrafx

Personally I use conde for my supplies as they are right every time - printer I use a Ricoh GX7000 - the ricoh's don't tend to clog as fast as the Epson's because the use a gel ink. as far as the press I have a geo knight that I will sell for 350.00 + shipping - I am a big believer in the mug wraps after doing several hundred mugs and trying 6 different presses and haven't found 1 that will do full bleed correctly - they always lighten around the handle where the heat wick away - in the oven everything is the same temp and comes out right every time

Just my 2c

WildWestDesigns

I wouldn't use an Epson, particularly if you are doing small format, for large format, unless you convert one of the other machines used in wide format, you'll be stuck with an Epson, pretty much for the same reasons that Dakotagrafx mentioned, head clogging.

Big thing is that you want to make sure that you have a market for this as this is something that you want to make sure that your machine is going as much as it can. Otherwise, it can end up like how it does with some people and DTG, you don't want to turn on anything unless you have a decent big order.

I will disagree with his experience with the mug press though. I too have a Geo Knight press (several actually) and I haven't had an issue with a full wrap.