• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WARNING about the possible dangers of chicken jerky pet treats from China

phototec

The United States FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has been looking into claims of serious illness in dogs, that according to numerous dog owners, may be directly linked to certain Chicken Jerky Treats produced in China.

According to the FDA website approximately 2,200 reports have been received from dog owners, with more than 300 of those reports being dogs that have actually died.

One pet owner says she gave the dog two pieces of Waggin’ Train chicken jerky tenders on a Wednesday and by the next Monday, Heidi was dead.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ers-take-jerky-treat-fight-to-the-stores?lite

I have these treats, but I will no longer give to my little Carmella, I hope eating them hasn't hurt her?

:omg2:

Attachments

• Carmella Lee (email).jpg
    Carmella Lee (email).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 79

d fleming

My spoiled brats eat a mostly raw diet, I try not to give them very much processed feed. Sometimes it is unavoidable and convenient. While you're at it, no bones of any kind and stay away from milk bone "greenies" to help avoid intestinal blockages. Learned that one the hard way.

TXFB.INS

My spoiled brats eat a mostly raw diet, I try not to give them very much processed feed. Sometimes it is unavoidable and convenient. While you're at it, no bones of any kind and stay away from milk bone "greenies" to help avoid intestinal blockages. Learned that one the hard way.

this is the only way to feed your animals and have them as healthy as possible.

if you want to give them bones then fined a butcher / slaughter house that will sell you bones. the marrow is the PERFECT food for carnivores & omnivores

Never feed my animals this type of so called "treats" shudders at the thought of what is put in them

MIMO

Here in Canada, an investigative program called 'Marketplace' just did a report on these exact same Chicken Jerky treats, same Waggin' Train brand and others. They sent samples of a number of different brands off to 2 separate labs, and one of the labs found an 'unknown chemical' in the samples given to the reporter by people whose dogs had gotten sick or died, all of that same Waggin' Train brand.

I'm not a 'the sky is falling' kind of person, but I know we're not giving our dogs the Chicken Jerky of any brand again. Spread the word.

Here's a link to the story I referred to:
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2012/09/fighting-for-fido.html

ProWraps

I have these treats, but I will no longer give to my little Carmella, I hope eating them hasn't hurt her?

:omg2:

i cant have dogs like that for fear of turning them into pancakes. im 6'4" and 230 lbs. a small rat like that dancing around my lumberjack feet spells certain doom for the poor thing. cute dog though.

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Glad you posted about this! We have some of that exact brand, yams wrapped in chicken jerky. Honest to God, just over a week ago gave our mini datsun a couple over a couple of days. She was sick for several days, puking a lot and whatnot. Did not even put it together till now. Thank god she is fine. She will not be getting anymore of those for sure.

KevSign

Do not buy food or anything relate to our health from China.
Look on UPC code before purchase.
Here are some stories, neighbor China’s countries.
Real rices mix with fate plastic rices.
Dry noodles mix with plastic noodles.
Fruits spay with some chemical make it fresh long time.
... And lot stuff we did not recover yet.

Our family stops buy stuffs from Asian markets if made from China, but other stuffs distributor in USA but never know where the heck comes from.

That's why peoples die with cancers lately.

phototec

i cant have dogs like that for fear of turning them into pancakes. im 6'4" and 230 lbs. a small rat like that dancing around my lumberjack feet spells certain doom for the poor thing. cute dog though.

She does tend to get under your feet, my wife or me can't go anywhere with her wanting to be right there with us.

I n the first posted photo Carmella was 3 months old 3lbs, now she is 7 months old 6-1/2 lbs and about twice as big (current photo), however she is still a small dog. She does tend to get under your feet, my wife or me can't go anywhere with her wanting to be right there with us.

And to think, when I first got married back in the early 70's we started out with a Saint Bernard, from one extreme to another.

Yes, we think she is a cutie pie!

:loveya:

Attachments

• Carmella Lee 9-12(email).jpg
    Carmella Lee 9-12(email).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 83

ICeMAnAbk

more like...
WARNING about the possible dangers of ANYTHING made in China.

Attachments

• chinese-cheese-grater-slide.jpg
    chinese-cheese-grater-slide.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:

Marlene

I saw this on Marketplace on a Canadian station and it is a huge problem. when are we going to stop buying anything made in China??? they keep doing this but we keep on buying...

omgsideburns

Yeah dog treats of all kinds kinda freak me out. Greenies are the only packaged treats i give my dogs. Usually I just give them fresh veggies.

That's scary though.

d fleming

this is the only way to feed your animals and have them as healthy as possible.

if you want to give them bones then fined a butcher / slaughter house that will sell you bones. the marrow is the PERFECT food for carnivores & omnivores

Never feed my animals this type of so called "treats" shudders at the thought of what is put in them
I would stay away from bones as well. We had to have one of our dobes treated for blockage from bones from a cow we butchered s few years ago. At the same time one of our friends almost lost his dog to undigested parts of beef bones blocking the intestines. I told the vet I had never heard of such a thing, we always used to feed beef bones from the butcher when I was a kid to our dogs as treats. His explanation was that in the years since I was a child, dogs have gotten further and further away from "wild". their digestive systems can no longer properly digest the bones and can create blockages that can be fatal. No more bones for Mommas' babies. That was when I was advised against the Milk Bone Greenies as well. Vet said he had treated quite a few animals for trouble digesting those as well.

KOOTO

China crap

Everything from China should not pass any North American borders.
We give them our jobs and the freedom of our kids.
It's time to act NOW...

CG

SD&F

I feed my dogs greenies and they are like puppy crack....never had problems with them.
I do occassionaly buy chews and cannot find any NOT made in China. I feed Blue Buffalo becuase I read the packaging and it is pure...not sure what else I can do.

I lost one of my pups earlier this year from Kidney faliure, my heart was actually broken and I miss her terribly. Any news on the above products?

Marlene

Simple. Wal Mart.

not so much when it comes to pet food as it is the high end expensive stuff. I lost a cat in 2007 to these a'holes. my cat only ate the high end stuff, never the cheap food you can get in the super market. these guys don't care as they put stuff into baby and toxic metals into kids jewerly. when will this stop? I do blame the Walmart mentality for most of this as we all want it cheap but when we are willing to pay for quality, it still comes from China. I bought my grandson a toy that had a local label on it. when I got it home and looked closer, it turns out that it is pretty much packaged in Plattsburgh but is made in China...errrr. I was so ticked off I called the company but I'm sure they could care less.