Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warning: Register your Video Cards

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Dice, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Dice

Dice Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    So my video card blew up yesterday. Loud POP. Everyone was like what the H was that!

I opened up my computer and one of the Capacitors blew on the video card. It's an XFX 8600 that i purchased from newegg. I checked the website and it's not covered under warranty for newegg, but it lists a lifetime limited manufacturer warranty.

So ok, contacted XFX and they say Sorry if you don't register the product in 30 days the warranty is only for 1 year.

BAH!!

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    ouchies

3. choucove

choucove Active Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I have had some bad luck with XFX cards in the past (2 failures of 2 cards within a year) but I did not attempt warranty repair on them to find this out. I just replaced with a different brand and a little more power.

I haven't had any issues with any other video cards to have to know their policy for warranty replacement, but it sounds very iffy when a company advertises a lifetime warranty and then turns around with fine print like that.

4. G-Artist

G-Artist Active Member

Jan 25, 2010
  5. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Happened to me years ago too.

6. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    If you're like me and hate dishing out for something that's otherwise in working order, you can count yourself lucky that it's the capacitor that went. Capacitors are both crazy cheap and crazy easy to replace, if you can solder even a tiny bit. Bring the busted one into an electronics shop and they should be able to match you up with a few replacements that you can solder back onto the board yourself.

7. Dice

Dice Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Update: They extended my warranty to two years, allowed me to send in and have it fixed. Pays to press the issue sometimes. 5 Minutes well spent.

Every time i try and solder something I end up burning my hand or other body parts.

8. genericname

genericname Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Good call on not going with my solution then! Hahaha.

Happy to hear it worked out for you.