• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Warning: Register your Video Cards

Dice

So my video card blew up yesterday. Loud POP. Everyone was like what the H was that!

I opened up my computer and one of the Capacitors blew on the video card. It's an XFX 8600 that i purchased from newegg. I checked the website and it's not covered under warranty for newegg, but it lists a lifetime limited manufacturer warranty.

So ok, contacted XFX and they say Sorry if you don't register the product in 30 days the warranty is only for 1 year.

BAH!!

choucove

I have had some bad luck with XFX cards in the past (2 failures of 2 cards within a year) but I did not attempt warranty repair on them to find this out. I just replaced with a different brand and a little more power.

I haven't had any issues with any other video cards to have to know their policy for warranty replacement, but it sounds very iffy when a company advertises a lifetime warranty and then turns around with fine print like that.

genericname

If you're like me and hate dishing out for something that's otherwise in working order, you can count yourself lucky that it's the capacitor that went. Capacitors are both crazy cheap and crazy easy to replace, if you can solder even a tiny bit. Bring the busted one into an electronics shop and they should be able to match you up with a few replacements that you can solder back onto the board yourself.

Dice

Update: They extended my warranty to two years, allowed me to send in and have it fixed. Pays to press the issue sometimes. 5 Minutes well spent.

Every time i try and solder something I end up burning my hand or other body parts.