• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Warning!!! Stupid question to follow

showcase 66

I have cut a ton of acrylic in the past but not so much lately. I am trying to remember how the best way to cut a curve would be. Both ends have to be half circles. I used to have a circle cutter just for acrylic and lexan but I dont have it anymore. Is it best just to cut straight lines and then use a belt sander to form it into a half circle.

Like I said, stupid question I should now but I am drawing a blank.

Thanks

showcase 66

My bandsaw is down right now. I am afraid of using the jigsaw. I was going to try my hand router but since I dont have any room for error, I thought I would just ask.

J Hill Designs

i usually mask over where the jigsaw rides so that it doesn't mar the finish, but it shouldn't be all that daunting...hit the store and grab a plastic blade for it...if you are scared of your cuts coming out perfect, cut them 1/8" out and finish on the sander

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Make a template out of wood or plastic in the shape and size desired. next clamp the acrylic to the template. Then route it with an edge finding router bit. You get a beautiful edge on the acrylic that way.

showcase 66

Make a template out of wood or plastic in the shape and size desired. next clamp the acrylic to the template. Then route it with an edge finding router bit. You get a beautiful edge on the acrylic that way.

That is what I usually do. I wish I still had my circle cutter for it. It makes these so easy. Less work to get a good result. I just did a small test area with the router and another template I had. Going that route.

Thanks Jhill and Fred.

Letterbox Mike

Do you have anybody near you that does industrial laser cutting? I'd think you would, most major cities have a few of them. Anymore, anything beyond a simple straight cut or anything requiring a nice clear polished edge we just have laser-cut. so much easier and cleaner and the end product is soooo much nicer.

Or if we're really lazy or don't have the material in stock for a small job we'll just order it cut from Gemeni.

artbot

couple of obvious suggestions.

always use cast (not extruded) acrylic for machining and fabricating of any sort. and it's always better to paint before cutting. the edge can have heat stress and the rapid solvent cooling can craze the edge. this is more common in extruded acrylic.

and for curves. make a template out of scrap, rout the edge with a template guide.

John L

Fred is right on. The router bit you should use with this kind of template is called a Laminate Trimming Bit (with bearing attached) and even the cheap ones they have at Home Depot will work for this.

showcase 66

Do you have anybody near you that does industrial laser cutting? I'd think you would, most major cities have a few of them. Anymore, anything beyond a simple straight cut or anything requiring a nice clear polished edge we just have laser-cut. so much easier and cleaner and the end product is soooo much nicer.

Or if we're really lazy or don't have the material in stock for a small job we'll just order it cut from Gemeni.
I live in a smaller town and as far as I know, no one here has a laser cutter.

Fred is right on. The router bit you should use with this kind of template is called a Laminate Trimming Bit (with bearing attached) and even the cheap ones they have at Home Depot will work for this.

Trimming bit is what I used. Got it done. Thanks for all the advice.

iceracer

Glad the issue is resolved, You can make a circle cutter pretty easily with a scrap of plywood for your router.