• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

warranties? / waivers?

TXFB.INS

If this has been discussed (I'm sure it has) please direct to the link. I was not getting the needed results back from my searching

What I'm curious about are the type of forms that shops uses for warranties and/or waivers for protection as telling people anything is pointless since they only remember what is convenient and then it is edited to their interest.
I have asked a lawyer buddy about these type forms that are specific for signs and he looked at me like like I was speaking Klingon.

Waiver example, customer brings in a substrate to use and you know it won't last very long telling the customer as such but when it fails they come back complaining (not remembering what you said) you are the reason it failed.

Warranty example, you do a vehicle wrap and lay out the rules on cleaning, maintenance and etc... they come back saying you did not do it right but it is obvious it was mistreated.
Speaking of warranties does anyone actually do it knowing the vinyl makers are virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get to honor these claims of faulty material.

thanks for any input

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your first waiver is totally unneeded, if you as the sign person provides your own substrates. You don't take your eggs and bacon into the diner and ask him to cook it up for you.... do you ??

The second is not a waiver either, but a maintenance sheet of how to maintain their vehicle after it has left your shop in 100% condition.
Just make up a sheet outlining what you want the customer to do, how, when and why and have them sign a release sheet, enabling you to produce this signed sheet should they come back after ignoring and denying getting it should something go wrong.

Most people spending the money on a wrap will to some extent be pretty good about the upkeep. Of course, there are those who don't, but a signed release is all you need.

We don't warranty anything.... at least, not in writing.

TXFB.INS

thanks for the input

so what do you do when the customer comes back and starts blaming you and or gets a lawyer involved? how do you protect yourself from the customers who feel it can only be resolved in the courts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
thanks for the input

so what do you do when the customer comes back and starts blaming you and or gets a lawyer involved? how do you protect yourself from the customers who feel it can only be resolved in the courts?

Honestly, I don't recall anyone ever coming after me with a lawyer in reference to a sign job going bad.

We're pretty clear on taking care of signs, truck lettering and all kinds of other incidentals. As I said, we make it clear we don't warranty.... period. If someone has a legit complaint, we'll decide on the spot if we'll fix it for free, split it or charge them in full.

I've had people sick their lawyers on me for other things, but not sign related. That's a whole nother story. :rolleyes:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I don't really warranty anything ... I will try to do good to my customer, but too many things to ever consider. For example, if you put a sign up on a building ... and it falls down ... go and put it back up for them. If you do vehicle graphics and some of the letters pop off for whatever reason and they come back that week ... replace them. Now ... if a letter comes off ... and they wait 6 months to replace it ... then they pay for it.

waivers on the other hand ... damn are they required.

I have a paint waiver, if the paint on a vehicle is overly oxidized, damaged, peeling, flaking, obviously painted badly (lots of orange peel for example) etc etc etc ... I make them sign a waiver for removal and/or install that I'm not responsible for their paint getting more messed up, or that their graphics have a chance of failing because of the paint. Standard stuff.

I have a general waiver that I call the 'bad graphics' waiver ... basically if someone comes in wanting something like '**** THE COPS' on the back of their truck ... they sign a hold harmless waiver. Also applies to things like attaching metal substrates with cheap zip ties to fences, signs that are only temporary and have a chance of falling, etc etc etc (basically stuff you know could be attached better but the customer wants it that way or no way)

Lastly I have a logo waiver ... if someone needs graphics done, and needs a companies logo (not their own) on what they want made, it's just your average "you have permission to reproduce this logo for your signage needs" sort of paperwork. While I'm a logo nazi ... I never trust the client when it comes to them having permission. So I just get something in writing to protect myself and the shop in case they don't.

SD&F

I create our own waivers for certain things. I have an approval and shipping waiver.
I have information on my site that lets you know about the materials that we use so that the customer is aware of how a sign is made. Them ost important one is the shipping waiver, which states that the item is fully insured....but we are not a shipping carrier. If you word them properly for your own protection then you should be fine.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Honestly, I don't recall anyone ever coming after me with a lawyer in reference to a sign job going bad.

.... If someone has a legit complaint, we'll decide on the spot if we'll fix it for free, split it or charge them in full.

I've had people sick their lawyers on me for other things, but not sign related. That's a whole nother story. :rolleyes:

Same here. Never had an issue that made me wish we made the customer sign more paperwork.

Make it easy for them, and be more than fair. If some vinyl starts peeling up, just replace it, then ask for a referral. Just my 2 cents.

TXFB.INS

Thanks for all the input

yes customer is always leery of signing forms and we do try to educate them. just trying to cover all the bases,

as Franklin said "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Now to see if I can find a waiver form as a bases and edit it.