• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wasatch, calibration and HP 26500

kanini

OK, stupid question, we use Wasatch SoftRIP and L26500. Does the HP handle all calibrations etc. by itself or how do you use the built in spectrophotometer? On our small Z-series we can run the calibration from the front panel but not on the L26500. Do you need to run it? Sorry for a newbie qquestion but I don't seem to find any info about this...

OK, stupid question, we use Wasatch SoftRIP and L26500. Does the HP handle all calibrations etc. by itself or how do you use the built in spectrophotometer? On our small Z-series we can run the calibration from the front panel but not on the L26500. Do you need to run it? Sorry for a newbie qquestion but I don't seem to find any info about this...

The on-board spectro would need to be defined in the RIP in order to run any calibration or re-linearization for the Latex 260 (l26500).

kanini

The on-board spectro would need to be defined in the RIP in order to run any calibration or re-linearization for the Latex 260 (l26500).

Thanks a lot for the reply! Okey, so I sort of add it as a new device or? Have tried to run the HP Designjet Calibration from the RIP but no success.

AF

You would need the driver for the onboard spectro installed in your rip (usually more $$$). You would need the ICC calibration engine installed in your rip (definitely more $$$). Then you will find that HP only recommends the internal spectro to be used for linearizing some but not most materials. Calibration is recommended with external spectro. Get an external and you can linearize/calibrate everything except maybe translucent material.

If your budget is unlimited, get a Barbieri. If it is semi limited, the i1 Isis is great. The i1 handheld is a great option on the budget side and can be upgraded to automatic down the line with i1iO. Used units may need factory recalibration / lamp replacement but could be a bargain.

Thanks a lot for the reply! Okey, so I sort of add it as a new device or? Have tried to run the HP Designjet Calibration from the RIP but no success.

Using the on-board i1 on the Latex 260/ L26500 can be done, but in my experience, the patch set is rather large, and certainly uses more media than an external spectro does. It also takes a long time to take the readings, and can be a bit wonky in sending the linearization/ calibration data back to the RIP. I've only messed with it a couple of times, and found that using the on-board i1 to be more difficult than using an external spectro, when using the L25500 and Latex 260/ L26500.

Wasatch does not have any internal ICC profiling capability, so a 3rd-party profiling package would be necessary to build the complete media profile. Wasatch SoftRIP does directly support the ink limiting and calibration steps.

On the other hand, using the on-board i1 on the Latex 360 is a breeze, and the entire profile creation process can be performed in significantly under an hour on most opaque media products, and it also includes the ICC building functionality on the Latex 360 printer.

kanini

Thanks a lot for the informative replies guys, guess it's time to finally spend on the i1 I've been looking at too long... Just thought it was a nce thing if I you could use the onboard one.

FrankW

The Z-Series can do calibration internally if it have the RIP inside (postscript version).

The new latex 300 series does re-linearisation and (on the 360) ICC-Calibration completely internally without interaction with the RIP (no ICC-profiler or measuring device neccessary), but the ICC-Profiles will be synchronized to the connected RIP (ink limits and linearisation data will be used in the printer).