• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Washing Windows prior to install....squeegee?

splizaat

Hey guys,
We are always looking for more efficient ways to do our jobs. We do a LOT of glass installs, full coverage-diecut-perf etc. As of now our method of cleaning the windows before installing consists of paper tiles and rapid tac ($25/gallon).

That being said is anyone using window washing equipment (bucket, soap, squeegee, etc) instead? Seems it would be much faster and less expensive assuming the soap you are using leaves nothing behind...maybe hit the edges with a paper towel to make sure the edges and corners are good and clean.

is anyone using this method? If so what soap are you using and what did you find worked best?

I use Spray Bottle. Fill with water and two drops of baby shampoo.

Spray window with solution, Scrap with blade, with most importance on the corners and edges, spray window again, whip edges/ mullions with paper towels (important if its full coverage). Squeegee with black blade top down. whip bottom edge where all the water went......boom.....you have a clean window ready to install.

forgot to add pics of the tools i use

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 66
  • unger-squeegee-complete-14-inch-1345473889.jpg
    unger-squeegee-complete-14-inch-1345473889.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 71

Stormyj

Just another guy
I spray window with ammonio/water mix then scrape with razor, then wipe clean with paper towels. Never had a problem, and works great. Oh, and inexpensive.

splizaat

I scrape with a razor blade then spray and squeegee with alcohol. Works great, and fast.

So you're just using straight rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, scraping window, spraying it with rubbing alcohol then using a rubber squeegee? you aren't scrubbing the window or anything?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We tell the customer to have them cleaned by a professional window company. Afterwards, we'll wash off any last minute dirt with diluted Simple Green and then wash them down with alcohol twice for good measure.

Using this method takes a total of maybe 3 or 4 minutes for a 4' x 6' window. How much more efficient do you wanna be ?? Prep is the key to everything, but there comes a point you can get in your own way. Be careful not to over-think some situations.

Moze

For large sizes or quantities of windows, I use a window bucket, mop and squeegee. I add a little Joy dish soap to plain water...if it works for professional window cleaners it works for me.

Printasaurus

We used to use Rapid-Tac for a cleaner, then we realized we were spraying $$$$ onto the window and watching them evaporate off. What we use now is just soapy water made from tap water and a little bit of baby shampoo(leaves nothing behind), the same stuff we use to clean cars for wrapping. If there are old letters or adhesive from old lettering, we'll use alcohol or a scraper lubricated with soapy water, depending on the quantity and temperature outside. Some of our installers use newspaper, others use paper towels. When the windows are really large, 5' wide and 10' tall, we've taken out a mop, bucket, and squeegee if we were doing a panel of 10 windows.

Basically we do a lot of what Moze just said.

Marlene

Windex, scrape with a blade, wipe off with paper towel is ho I do it as I don't a lot of them. is this outside or inside the building? inside apps you have to use more paper towels as it can get messy with the window squeegee. outside usually not a problem.