Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

 


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water Based vs Eco Solvent

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Printers' started by juan45215, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. juan45215

    juan45215 Member

    472
    1
    18
    Aug 6, 2004
    Cincinnati OH
    I'm trying to understand the limitations of waterbased ink printers. I know that the coated materials are about twice the cost of uncoated. Is a laminated waterbased print as good as a laminated solvent ink print? Are there any other limitations or advantages? Can they both be used on vehicles?
     
    Tags:
  2. Mike Paul

    Mike Paul Major Contributor

    5,435
    8
    38
    Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    Anything outdoor needs to be solvent base or thermal resin transfer. IMHO.

    I have seen/read inkjet manufactures say water base prints with a u/v laminate will work outdoors. >> "Sure except for the edges!."

    It works for a while but as soon as moisture starts creeping in the edges of the prints it attacks the water base ink. > Blur > failure > Redo

    If you do interior signs go water base and save a lot of money on your machine purchase.

    If you want to do graphics for outdoor/vehicles usage, spend the extra money and go solvent or semi solvent. Liquid or film laminate is a must even for these type of printers.
     
  3. paul luszcz

    paul luszcz Active Member

    513
    2
    18
    Feb 4, 2004
    Massachusetts
    We bought a Roland CJ540 water based printer based on the representation that as long as you laminate the prints, they are as durable as solvent ink outdoors.

    What they didn't mention is that you must laminate at least 1/2" beyond the print. Which eliminates full bleed images (90%) and contour cut images (the other 10%). It's also almost imposible to do and can't be done at all automatically (print/lam/cut).

    If you want outdoor prints you MUST use solvent inks.
     
Loading...

Share This Page

 


Loading...