• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Water signs

Signed Out

Looking at getting into fabricating water trough or fountain signs. Where you have an acrylic face that water flows over. Has a trough on the bottom and a circulating pump to pump water to the top and flow over the sign. I have looked into them a bit and have some questions on the best way to build them. Going to purchase a pump and play around with a few different set ups.

Will it work better to have a pipe or hose on the top with holes spaced every inch or so? Or would a tray that fills up with water and overflows over the acrylic be better? Will the acrylic have to be tilted back slightly? Any recommendations on what type of pump to use?

I know these are pretty vague questions but any insight would help in our experimenting.

2B

don't have experience with "water signs" but I do have 1500 gallon aquaponics system that I grown produce in. so I am familiar what how to move water

from what you have listed
  • the acrylic does need to tilted back to achieve the even and smooth flow of water
  • for the top an overflow tray is best as that will have an even displacement of water, depending on the width you may need extra feed ports into the overflow trough.
  • don't skimp on the pump you want a constant and smooth flow, when getting a pump it important to know the height/distance that the water is traveling. This is more important than the volume that it move

other points that you need to concerned about

• is making sure that the water stays clean, otherwise you can build up moss in the pump intake filter and edges of the signs, pipe etc...
  • the thickness (volume) of the water as it flows over the sign face will have an effect on how the graphics are viewed / distorted