• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Water Transfer Printing - So Cool!

GoodPeopleFlags

Ever heard of water transfer printing? I hadn't until recently and this is so cool! Looks like it's mainly used on car and motorcycle parts (wheels, fenders, etc.). Here's a quick video. There's lots more on Youtube; I just picked this one to post because it's short and to the point.

[video=youtube;jaLtWJLJBVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaLtWJLJBVU[/video]

Chriswagner92

I remember seeing some internet companies selling kits that are 8 1/2" x 11" and work in your standard inkjet printer, not that it really helps, but if you contact them maybe they can sell you a kit with larger sheets or even rolls so you can do it in house. it would be pretty sweet and open up more opportunities to be able to do something the size of a car hood.

synergy_jim

I have a buddy that does this. Basically custom designs are non existent. you pick from a book and thats what you get. Its pretty neat when combined with paint and used as accents and such.

That tank he's dipping into, stainless with 90 degree water in it…. the tank alone will run you 2 grand.

VinylLabs.com

I have a buddy that does this. Basically custom designs are non existent. you pick from a book and thats what you get. Its pretty neat when combined with paint and used as accents and such.

That tank he's dipping into, stainless with 90 degree water in it…. the tank alone will run you 2 grand.

Hi, I looked into this a few years back, turns out there is now an inkjet compatible film which is compatible with the durabrite line of inks. It's still too expensive for me, however. I dont think there's a market for it in my neck of the woods.

Mosh

These have to me clear coated after the fact. There is a local guy that does guns. Holds up great IF you put on a good clear coat...if not it rubs off.

2B

These have to me clear coated after the fact. There is a local guy that does guns. Holds up great IF you put on a good clear coat...if not it rubs off.

that's what I was wondering about longevity.

what parts of the guns do he do? is there issues with it getting into the firing mechanism?

visual800

oh yes, this is how rednecks in alabama get camo on everything they own! That is something I will never approve of BUT the process is cool. I personally have no interest in it as far as doing it but it is cool

toodark

hydrographics

Yes, you HAVE to clearcoat. The pattern will deffently rub off you you do not put some type of topcoat over the pattern. There are so many types of applications for hydrographics.

tattoo.dan

Hi, I looked into this a few years back, turns out there is now an inkjet compatible film which is compatible with the durabrite line of inks. It's still too expensive for me, however. I dont think there's a market for it in my neck of the woods.

Do you know of a supplier of this media? I was looking into this 3 yrs ago and decided against since I coulnd't print custom patterns. Seemed like that is what everyone wanted. Thanks!

cmykpro

I researched this heavily 3 or 4 years ago. The issue is you essentially need a paint booth so the fumes don't kill your employees. Most of the time you will have to put a primer coat on the object first and possibly an adhesion promoter. After that you need at least a couple layers of clear. I invested into a very basic setup and it was a nightmare. If you don't get the solution just right on top of the dip film it does not apply evenly. I walked away from that adventure and am very glad I didn't invest heavily in equipment...

toodark

I researched this heavily 3 or 4 years ago. The issue is you essentially need a paint booth so the fumes don't kill your employees. Most of the time you will have to put a primer coat on the object first and possibly an adhesion promoter. After that you need at least a couple layers of clear. I invested into a very basic setup and it was a nightmare. If you don't get the solution just right on top of the dip film it does not apply evenly. I walked away from that adventure and am very glad I didn't invest heavily in equipment...

primer/base/dip/clear, that easy. RIGHT!!! There is deffently a technique to it. I was ready to chuck my equipment after a month. There are a lot of variables in the dipping proveccs. Such as the amount of activator used on the film, temp of H2O. Also after you apply base coat there is a "dipping window" you need to get part dipped before having to start process over again.

Dipping is NOT for the weak heart. It WILL test your patients.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
"Hydro Dipping" has been around for awhile and not only are there no affordable custom film options but the trial and error phase takes some time from what I've heard.
Once you have it down...you don't have much competition in the business and can charge a lot.
Like a guy that wants his freakin Deer Skull dipped in Camo. Looks awesome and he'll probably pay a pretty penny for it.

Snydo

"Hydro Dipping" has been around for awhile and not only are there no affordable custom film options but the trial and error phase takes some time from what I've heard.
Once you have it down...you don't have much competition in the business and can charge a lot.
Like a guy that wants his freakin Deer Skull dipped in Camo. Looks awesome and he'll probably pay a pretty penny for it.
http://www.camodipkit.com/index.htm
I found this site several months ago, well during last deer season, they go on and on about how EASY(the word easy, is always caps) the process is. A kit comes with everything you need for $100. Including a 90 minute, 40 chapter DVD.:banghead:

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Hydrographic Film printing

Do you know of a supplier of this media? I was looking into this 3 yrs ago and decided against since I coulnd't print custom patterns. Seemed like that is what everyone wanted. Thanks!

Sure! We print custom Hydrographic film here in house. Not a problem! Just PM me and we'll get the ball rolling.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150409_085128.jpg
    IMG_20150409_085128.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 65