• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waterbase paint, Ronan Aquacoat, and then some

redcanary01

Hi everyone,

I'm a newb sign painter although I have been graphic designer with my own little firm for a long time doing mostly branding and exhibit design, before that I was an interior house painter through college and a bit after. I LOVE typography and can spend all day drawing letters. Recently, I have been doing more and more sign painting and trying to spend more time away from designing on my computer (for health reasons as well as personal, but I wont get into that)--which has been working great. I love the work and re-training my hands to work for themselves.

I've been working with mostly One Shot on MDO and have read enough on the forum to know most peoples general opinions on that material and the death of that particular paint. Since I am relatively new, I really don't have expectations around how a paint should behave so it's been working out okay and I'm still having a good time.

So here's the deal. I'm loving this but my husband and I are also trying to have a kid and I can't really build a career around solvents if that's going to happen! Also, being in California, it's only a matter of time before they outlaw everything and "green" sells...so in anticipation I want to start exploring some waterbase options sooner than later.

I've heard people say good things about the Ronan Aquacoat line and am wondering about any others? Any words of wisdom or caution out there? ie, should I always UV clear over it for exterior? Does any one know if they have a sample kit? I tried calling but no one was in the office I guess.

As far as brushes go, I've also heard that my red and grey Mack's might not work well since the paint dries faster? Would their synthetic blended ones be better, the Hannukaine or something? What about stripers? I do some detail work on motos for friends from time to time... Any other brush thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Red

Craig Sjoquist

Water based brushes to use...Mack #2962 they work like flats awesomely.

Water base lettering preferences .... Ronans Aquacoat ... cause I can get it locally and works great, have used it at least 10 yrs

2nd choice but must order from Nova colors Nova colors .... note careful when ordering so many types

3rd Sherman Williams I use mostly for backgrounds

YES you do need to clear coat Ronan Aquacoat... UV Aquathane is best will also go over enamel and work for long lasting colors.

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding Signs 101 and people.

Look up ..Arcola Walldog meet ..100% Nova colors no clear coat or needed

Jillbeans

I started hand-painting signs in 1985 when 1Shot still contained lead.
I started wearing latex gloves while pregnant with my second and third kids, by then the lead was out of 1Shot and my lead levels were always fine anyway.
The Ronan Aqua coat is not too bad, a bit thin for my liking but much better than the water-based paint (no longer made) I used during my last pregnancy.
I use the regular Ronan lettering enamel and am quite pleased with it, as I have never found a water-based paint with the right "feel" and drag for me.
I think if you wore gloves and had good ventilation you would be just fine.
I know you need special synthetic brushes, again, they don't "feel" right to me.
Welcome from PA.
My kids all turned out OK, too.
Love....Jill

redcanary01

Thank you thank you!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

And reassurance, Jill :)

I'm painting two identical b&w sandwich boards and think I might try one in the usual and the other in waterbase w/UV coat and see how it goes. Client's cool with it, the design's simple, so why not try a little experiment!

Thanks again,
Red