• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Way to assign vinyl color in Corel so it comes in as THAT vinyl color in Flexi

SqueeGee

I know that there are programs available that cut directly from Corel and I'm sure that someone may suggest we go that route. I tried Co-Cut once and sent it back. I'm sure that it works well for some, but Flexi just works better for us. We're pretty invested in this setup now and not interested in switching. Just streamlining the workflow a little.

We design in Corel X3 and export the file as an AI. We then import the AI file into Flexi where we output to the plotter.

Up to now, we've just written on our paperwork what color vinyl to use.

I'd like to create a compatible palette in Corel, assign all colors when designing, and when imported into Flexi - the vinyl color would already be assigned.

Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

SqueeGee

Thanks dclet. We use cast and reflective 3M vinyl and calendared Avery. These palettes are terrific for approximating the vinyl colors in Corel.

What I'd really like to do is have the Corel palette be compatible with the Flexi palette so that when it comes into Flexi, the color names are the same. That way, out production guys can take the file straight to production manager and use whatever color it tells them to use. Does that make sense?

Anyone ever tried to do this?

dclet

You'll have to edit the color names in corel then...if I understand
correctly.... easy to do...

the colors brought into flexi do indeed keep corel's color names.
ie - "bright blue" exported from corel is also "bright blue" in flexi

one other thought - make a file in flexi with all "your colors" export that as .eps, import into corel and make a color palette from
that...it should keep all your "flexi" names. ~

corel menu - window - color palettes - create palette from document

SqueeGee

You'll have to edit the color names in corel then...if I understand
correctly.... easy to do...

the colors brought into flexi do indeed keep corel's color names.
ie - "bright blue" exported from corel is also "bright blue" in flexi

That's what I was hoping, but that doesn't seem to work - at least not with Flexi v 7.5 (haven't laid down the dough to upgrade:rolleyes:).

Does that work in your version? If so, what version are you running?

SqueeGee

Something else occured to me. What version of AI and what settings are you checking to get this to work in the export menu in Corel? I send everything as Illustrator 88, PC, curves, nothing else checked.

AND

Are there possibly some imort settings in Flexi that may need to be adjusted?

dclet

use .eps you will not have to mess with any setttings
you do not need the header info either when exporting out of corel .... I am working with flexi 7.6, it should work in 7.5...I'll have to check that......

ai file is an .eps file basically...just more specific in regards to illustrator....use .eps

Corel x3

dclet

ok I was goofing around with colors in and out of flexi 7.5...

What you would have to do is make a file in flexi with all your colors, change the mode to "spot" on all the colors and make sure there is a "name" for it...then export as .eps, import into corel and create palette from document. - this works with Flexi 7.5....

The one mistake I did make was the fact that they have to be
spot colors in order for the name to "stick"

SqueeGee

That's a great idea to create the palette in Corel FROM the Flexi palette. It should save a LOT of work. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I did try what you suggested earlier (eps out of Corel) right before I left the shop, but Flexi didn't like the file and wouldn't let it in. I tried postscript 1 and 2 with the same result. No header on either. I had to run, but will try to sort that out also.

Thanks so much for your help.

dclet

postscript 3!

Let me know how it works out....I did it so it does work...

be sure to change the mode to "spot" and make sure the name is filled in....

SqueeGee

dclet,

That worked. I NEVER would have figured out the "spot" thing. I only did one color so far but this should be just what we needed. Thanks so much for your help.

SqueeGee

I'm about to lose my mind!

Ok, you can create custom spot colors WITH NAMES that appear WITH THE CORRECT NAME displayed in the bottom right corner of the screen when selected ONLY when using the ONE "Custom Spot Colors" palette established by Corel.

If you create a NEW spot color template(which is quite the adventure to start with), Corel refuses to display the spot color name and instead displays the RGB values. The correct name, however, does export with an EPS.

If you create a NON spot color template, Corel displays the name correctly BUT you can't export it as an EPS and maintain the name.

Is this about the gyst of it? Am I missing something here?

It sure would be nice if Corel would display the name AND export the name.

SqueeGee

So I still had one free "incident" PIN from Corel that I decided to use. Called tech support. We replicated the problem on the phone. There's no way around it. He said they will report it to their engineers and to be fixed in the next service pack.:rolleyes: We'll see.

dclet

Is this about the gyst of it? Am I missing something here?

you got it. they goofed the user end of it...I have spot color palettes that do work like you want but they are from the manufacturer.. so go figure :)

The only other thing to try is an older version of Corel like 11 or 12 and see if it will let you make your own spot color palette AND hold on to the names in Corel....older palettes are compatible with x3.... I think I have 11 installed on another machine I will give it a go! Let you know!

Or do the flexi thing - Convert them in flexi to spots then output
eps... into corel and create palette from document...corel will not display the name but it will output correctly....well you got that already :)

He said they will report it to their engineers and to be fixed in the next service pack. We'll see.

I wouldn't doubt they do it. Corel is very good like that.

SqueeGee

you got it. they goofed the user end of it...I have spot color palettes that do work like you want but they are from the manufacturer.. so go figure :)

Do you mean the Pantone palettes?

I've tried every work around I can think of. Copied the Custom Spot Color file (named userinks.cpl) to another folder and opened it from that location. You can't trick it.

Also tried to add my spots to the Pantone palettes. Won't let you.

Tried creating a new palette with Pantone colors and then editing the Pantone name and color. No go.

I'm out of ideas.

I guess I could put ALL vinyl swatches in the Custom Spot Color palette and name them thoroughly.

I probably should just give in and start designing in Flexi...

Nah.