• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

web address dilemma

wildside

we own several different web addresses (25 or so) - they all point to one website, we don't advertise any of them other than the main site, mostly just buy them to make sure someone else cannot use them or some hair brain idea that never came to light at some point

anyways

my dilemma is if i should start using a different one for ease of spelling and use and talking etc.

right now i say, the website is wildsidegraphix dot com, but would rather say something like getwildside dot com or gowildside dot com

but having a hard time committing to the idea no matter how much easier it might be, i guess i am afraid people will not understand the getwildside or the gowildside - and then which one to use in general as far as easier to remember

any advice or input from others out there

CheapVehicleWrap

drop any domain that doesn't get type-in or organic search engine traffic no matter how cool it sounds. They are a liability not an asset. I've had over 5k domains at one point. half way decent domains are dropping for a reason. The Damn economy.

GB2

Old Member
drop any domain that doesn't get type-in or organic search engine traffic no matter how cool it sounds. They are a liability not an asset. I've had over 5k domains at one point. half way decent domains are dropping for a reason. The Damn economy.

Could you explain that a little more please, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
For simplicity of typing it and for shorter email I set ours up from day 1 as sl-digital.com although typing it in full - sightlinedigital.com or bigass-stickers.com :Big Laugh also gets someone to the site just the same.

Never really had anyone ask why we use or give out the short version for email or telling them the web address. I'd say go for it but you might want to set your hosting to keep the emails valid for the original name as well and just change your redirects around for the web traffic.

Of course you will also want to update your links from anywhere else - google dashboard configurations, etc.

One I'd be curious about is whethere there is any benefit/negative to different methods of redirecting such as via DNS only or letting the alternate domain name actually exist on a host and use html to redirect? I have a couple set both ways....

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Pick your "primary" domain and have all your other domains point to and use a 301 Permanent Redirect. This is the suggested method by Google. And there is a difference between a simple client or server site redirect and a 301 redirect but it's no harder to set it up correctly.