• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website pricing

Eric H

The company I work for has a website but not a great one. It's kind of on the to do list but not actively looking for one. A local company that we have been getting emails from called and said they had someone in the area could they stop in. He comes in gives us his pitch, seems like a lot of money for what I would consider a simple site. I know this is like someone coming in and asking me how much is a sign, but what is the price range for a nice web site? I'm sure there are tons of variables we just don't have anything to compare to.

JgS

Depends on your definition of simple. Some more information would be helpful. How many pages. Do you need a content management system, photo gallery, contact forms, e-store?

I believe there is a merchant member here that does websites for a very reasonable price. I forget the name. I'm sure someone else will know.

edit: I just saw the advertisement. http://www.signshopwebsites.com/home-signs-101.html

Locals Find!

As much as your willing to pay. That is it. There are no expenses in making websites only time, knowledge, & skill.

So, basically your negotiating with someone for those resources. You can't quantify that into some kind of standard formula. I have seen bad designers charge thousands and really great ones charge peanuts.

HulkSmash

The company I work for has a website but not a great one. It's kind of on the to do list but not actively looking for one. A local company that we have been getting emails from called and said they had someone in the area could they stop in. He comes in gives us his pitch, seems like a lot of money for what I would consider a simple site. I know this is like someone coming in and asking me how much is a sign, but what is the price range for a nice web site? I'm sure there are tons of variables we just don't have anything to compare to.

Between 1500-5k is pretty standard. Simple of not. It's not fast work.

HulkSmash

Depends on your definition of simple. Some more information would be helpful. How many pages. Do you need a content management system, photo gallery, contact forms, e-store?

I believe there is a merchant member here that does websites for a very reasonable price. I forget the name. I'm sure someone else will know.

edit: I just saw the advertisement. http://www.signshopwebsites.com/home-signs-101.html

yeah, i think these look really cheesy.. no offence

Dennis422

2-5K is a reasonable price for a nice web site (Made from scratch, no templates)
Also, pricing is heavily dependable on number of pages and features.

HulkSmash

2-5K is a reasonable price for a nice web site (Made from scratch, no templates)
Also, pricing is heavily dependable on number of pages and features.

Now a days templates are needed. The reason for this is so the user can update themselves instead of the webmaster coming in everyday and doing that. Nothing really from scratch now a days

Eric H

Holy crap you guys are fast don't you have work to do. I believe it was 6 pages with gallery(s) - $5500.00

HulkSmash

Holy crap you guys are fast don't you have work to do. I believe it was 6 pages with gallery(s) - $5500.00

seems a little high for 6 pages, simple, with a gallary.
I can point you in the direction of a great company who can help you.. let me know if interested.

Dennis422

Now a days templates are needed. The reason for this is so the user can update themselves instead of the webmaster coming in everyday and doing that. Nothing really from scratch now a days

When I mentioned a template, I meant a finished site where you just replace images and text.

My web site still says that we offer web design (I have stopped few months ago) and we have never did anything like that for a customer.
We did all the work in Drupal and of course, that is a template in a sense, but we did all the designing of the layout and navigation on the site.

If you already charge someone 4-5K for a web site, do not cheat him with a fre-made site.

Using template is one thing, using Drupal, Jumla, Wordpress...... is different in a way.

Trip59

I WISH that was a good price, I'd quit my day job. 6 pages with a client managed gallery, essentially static (meaning not based on a content management system) somewhere in the 2-3k range. I don't typically deal with the CMSs out there, not a fan, not my niche, but I'll often build in several areas that are client manageable if requested. To be honest, I don't like how CMS sites look, really tough to get a non-template-y look.

You can blame the 'build your own website' services for the cost increases. I despise them, and yes, Vistaprint is now doing it to... They've gutted the market, cleared all the low hanging fruit, so now all the designers out there are jacking up prices to compensate for lower volume. They've also devalued things to where the last couple of meetings I had, folks balked at my prices (which, for what I do, were VERY competitive). Folks think you can get a site for a couple hundred bucks, or that it's a piece of cake to do and couldn't possibly take that much time ( I sell the initial site at a cost based on an hourly estimate, with additional work by the hour).

With all that, I don't even really go after the general sites anymore, I do a few contracts a year, mainly complex systems built ground-up, custom tailored to the application and client.

joshGN

the sign shop websites is super easy. Its back end is similar to using a forum to post and is very easy to make changes, add pictures etc. It even has place for seo keywords on each page. John, the owner, leads you thru everything and want you to be happy with your site.

I purchased one and can't be happier with it. I had been dragging my feet about a new website and he had it up and running in 24 hours.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Not sure what you're looking for, but mine was FAR less than any of the prices given. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you like mine, contact Phillip (neato).

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Jeez, I must be doing something wrong ... when I do websites I almost never do static sites anymore ... too many awesome and simple cms opensource options ... but even then with a full graphics overhaul and theme creation for a cms, setup and back end modification (installing carts, gallery mods, etc) I almost rarely hit a quarter that quoted sum. Either they are doing some serious SEO on that site or they want to ride easy on your dime while they try to scrounge up other business.

Jeez, for all you know ... they could be wanting to code your site in tables and a chopped up psd template they made while have buzzed on a 6-er of natty light ... not worth it at all.

Trip59

Jeez, I must be doing something wrong ... when I do websites I almost never do static sites anymore ... too many awesome and simple cms opensource options ... but even then with a full graphics overhaul and theme creation for a cms, setup and back end modification (installing carts, gallery mods, etc) I almost rarely hit a quarter that quoted sum. Either they are doing some serious SEO on that site or they want to ride easy on your dime while they try to scrounge up other business.

Jeez, for all you know ... they could be wanting to code your site in tables and a chopped up psd template they made while have buzzed on a 6-er of natty light ... not worth it at all.

I dunno, sometimes it feels like trying to take out a housefly with a shotgun to implement a CMS for a 5-10 page site. When you factor in updates and security, sometimes a static site (done in CSS, NOT tables) can be just what's called for.

Your last comment is kinda funny, I went out to quote a site earlier this year, I was right around 6k for what he wanted, he was happy with it but wanted to pay in 'installments' and got upset when I chuckled at his offering of covering some bar tabs and a 'hundred or two a month' so he went with the other guy who used a hacked up Drupal theme and traded for beer and "moonshine" (why can't these morons quit calling Everclear in a mason jar with some other crap floating in it moonshine).

A Website Design For Sign Design Company

In general a simple site consisting of the following for the sign design company:

1) A Custom Designed Landing page and other pages about business (about us, locations, contacts, policies etc.)
2) Integrated Online Interactive Custom Sign and Banner Design Tool
3) E-commerce Cart for Ordering Standard Signs On-line

These can be offered between $5K -10K. depending upon the customization efforts, number of images you want to populate, number of e-commerce items you want to set up.

Last edited by a moderator:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I dunno, sometimes it feels like trying to take out a housefly with a shotgun to implement a CMS for a 5-10 page site. When you factor in updates and security, sometimes a static site (done in CSS, NOT tables) can be just what's called for.

Your last comment is kinda funny, I went out to quote a site earlier this year, I was right around 6k for what he wanted, he was happy with it but wanted to pay in 'installments' and got upset when I chuckled at his offering of covering some bar tabs and a 'hundred or two a month' so he went with the other guy who used a hacked up Drupal theme and traded for beer and "moonshine" (why can't these morons quit calling Everclear in a mason jar with some other crap floating in it moonshine).

I'm going to let you in on a nice little CMS secret ... http://get-simple.info/ it's a nice simple back end made for static whysiwyg sites with modular options and themes. I've been happy using this for my coding back end since most people want a static type of site with basic info they can change themselves and not have to do a lot of coding or custom edits. The element modules are easy to add into the css design and it makes for a dream of coding ... I can get a site designed and coded and installed in about 2-4 hours and do an hour tutorial on how to edit your site and bobs your uncle ... done.

I spent about 2 years looking for that code cause of the housefly with a shotgun feeling as well. But I'm happy I found it ... it doesn't have any of the issues that a lot of other cms like it have. (both security or usability or reliability.)