• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website VS Facebook VS Linkedin

Craig Sjoquist

So times are changing & changing faster then most can keep up with.

What are your views on using a your Website... Facebook... Linkedin & best ways to use them in todays world, also some other social networking sites That are new/old or have some niche benefit.

Is it a matter of personal choice, ease of use, popularity, or your force to use cause it has a good chance of working.

These are just some of the questions I'm sure there is more & open to many responses.

CES020

When linked in came out I used it a lot to help build my network of people or get to the decision makers I wanted to get it through people that knew those key people that were in my network. I thought it was great, linking to my customers and now getting access to see who they knew. Then one day one of my local wholesale customers that was just starting up a sign business sent me a request to link to them. I was dumbfounded. If I had linked to them, they would have been able to see all my customer links and I'd essentially be opening up part of my customer list to them with the click of a button. I immediately stopped trying to link at that point, and after that, I can't tell you how many sign companies in the area have asked me to link to them.

It might be different now, but I really have no desire to help people take my customers more easily. The people I trusted the most in the area sign business never asked to link and the people I trusted the least, were quick to ask to link.

visual800

My website is for reference and portfolio only, it does not generate income, facebook has generated just a little thru friends, linked in is nothing more than an orgy for networking although I am starting to allow more pic postings on there

Craig Sjoquist

Never really thought about other sign shops going after my customers, guess I'm not that protective & also very willing to share what I know as long as the community has better advertising.

I also use my website for portfolio but not happy with it & now that it is down I want to upgrade it

Facebook is easy to add copy & place current pictures in with a few good going comments

Linkedin I have not used enough but seems the way to get business people looking at your work.

Other sites also not worked with enough Like Google, Tumble, Twitter & others

synergy_jim

all social media for us is now just a place to replicate our website and blog posts and send traffic to our website. I am not interested in any of their business models any more. I'm not paying them so my fans can see my posts.

CES020

Never really thought about other sign shops going after my customers, guess I'm not that protective & also very willing to share what I know as long as the community has better advertising.

I also use my website for portfolio but not happy with it & now that it is down I want to upgrade it

Facebook is easy to add copy & place current pictures in with a few good going comments

Linkedin I have not used enough but seems the way to get business people looking at your work.

Other sites also not worked with enough Like Google, Tumble, Twitter & others

Yeah, that's not how linked in works at all. You have to link to people and when you link to people, it allows them to see who you are linked to. So it's essentially like handing your rolodex over to anyone that wants it. I'm not freakishly protective about my customers, but I did have several cut throat competitors that would have gone out of their way to see who I was doing business with. Once they knew, they'd be pulling out all the stops to steal them. I'd rather make someone work for stealing my customers rather than me just handing them over to them. If I'm going to make it that easy, I might as well just export our Quickbooks and send them the works.