• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding 101 on Signs 101

CES020

Some people weed off the transfer tape. Just pull the big stuff off first before you put the transfer tape on.

+1 for the tiny stuff. Pull off the big stuff, then apply to transfer tape, pull the release liner off, weed it, put the release liner back on if you need to transport it.

MikePro

for my cast, non-air egress, vinyls... i'm able to quickly weed by using short-quick-snappy tugs at my negative and my cut letters stay in place if I dial in the pressure perfectly. (cut deep, but not through the paper)
taking the time to hold every letter corner down as you weed is a headache, and a waste of time, imho.

OneUpTenn

One thing that helps me when I am weeding tiny pieces is to wrap masking tape around my finger on my left hand (im right handed) and just wipe the tiny pieces on the tape as I weed them.

Custom_Grafx

i get my laminator to hold one end while i use 2 hands to do the weeding... long job? no problem... foot pedal advance, all systems go!

MikePro

i also don't weed tiny lettering if I don't have to... i'll weed out the centers, cut a box around the letters, mask, and apply lightly as a chunk of vinyl... weeding the rest of the negative from the media.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Never even heard of power weeding. How does it work? :thankyou:

Power weed isn't something from the 60's...It's a feature that allows you to put in extra cut lines between elements so you don't have to weed such large pieces of vinyl...which usually flip upsidedown onto the lettering...and really makes a mess.

In SignLab, all you have to do is click on the power weed button and then drag as many weed lines onto the image as you feel is necessary. It does not cut into the lettering.

JB

Attachments

• PW.jpg
    PW.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 104

Custom_Grafx

Wow that's some neat trick - nice one.

I have always just manually used my pen tool in illy to draw around large elements.

The example you have up is a bit of overkill though? Unless it was really big I guess. I usually end up just putting the line in between lines of text and the such.

Doug Pulver

A good pair of tweezers are a must. I've also used dental pics to keep the small pieces down and when weeding white I will take a flashlight and shine it across the vinyl to see the cut lines.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
As posted I did build a table that has lighting underneath, it really helps seeing items on some colors. I did see a table with what looked like a flexible desk light mounted on the side. I'll bet that would assist, going to build one. I will post the pic.

Tried every trick we haven't already used.

GREAT SITE!

:thankyou::signs101:

Edserv

Besides the great advice on this thread, we found a great solution (but I can't stress new blades and accuracy enough!)

When you hire or bring new team members on your staff, you'll find that some of them really enjoy weeding, and take pride in doing it quickly and efficiently. That (to me- and to our manager) beats almost anything else. Because when you don't enjoy weeding (or are not very patient or detail-oriented,) the next best thing is to find someone who is. And believe me, they're out there!

We just recently hired a great design/production staff member who enjoys weeding quickly, cleanly, and efficiently. That's made our lives much better!

Good luck!

signdynamic

Blade Angle

45 - 60 degree blades makes a huge difference. Are you using a printer plotter of or a plotter only. Printer plotters have heaters that make the vinyl more pliable and cutting can be more difficult.

GypsyGraphics

my fingers may be smaller, but i don't weed with my fingers... i use the same big boy tools as you sign guys.

probably has more to do with patients and having worked with micro electronics for many years.