• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding 3M 2080

shepherddesigns

Anyone using 3M 2080 for cut graphics? I've mostly used Orafol 970ra in the past and after cutting, it's a bit sticky to weed. After about 4 or 5 days of resting, the decals weed extremely easy. However, this 3M 2080 material is horrendous for weeding. I've had some decals (yes, they are small, probably 2" wide by 0.75" tall decals) are torture to weed, even after letting them rest 10 days. Is this the norm for 3M materials? The material I'm using specifically is the gloss blue metallic.

MikePro

such things I remedy by simply applying the un-weeded media to the substrate, gently applying, and then weeding-out the negative afterwards before finishing with a hard squeegee&heat.
...sometimes weeding out the letter centers first before premasking step to save myself the effort of plucking them out later.

shepherddesigns

such things I remedy by simply applying the un-weeded media to the substrate, gently applying, and then weeding-out the negative afterwards before finishing with a hard squeegee&heat.
...sometimes weeding out the letter centers first before premasking step to save myself the effort of plucking them out later.
These end up being masked decals and sold/shipped to customers, so they have to be weeded prior to application, but I may try a similar method with the mask. Thanks for the suggestion.

shepherddesigns

Quick update, the mask and then weed procedure worked pretty darn well. I'm glad I don't need to do that with every decal we make, but it will work for this material. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Mr.Signboy

3m 2080 is wrap film, not really the best material to be making small decals that need to be weeded. Is there a reason you have to use that?

shepherddesigns

3m 2080 is wrap film, not really the best material to be making small decals that need to be weeded. Is there a reason you have to use that?
Yeah, because they're being applied to vehicles. I've seen the damage sign/craft vinyl can do to paint. We've been using Orajet 3751/3951, Orafol 970ra, etc for 5 or 6 years now with zero issues. The adhesive in this 2080 just behaves completely differently.

Mr.Signboy

I get the fear of using cheap vinyl on cars, but you’d be safe to use a cast high quality vinyl that’s not for wrapping specifically, like 220 series from 3m or something similar. 2080 is just really difficult to cut small letters and logos out of because of how easily it comes off the liner.