• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weeding 3M Ij180Cv3-10 & 8519 luster Lam

blacknbart

I sell a client truck graphics and they're use to the 3M Controltac IJ180CV3-10 and 8519 Luster laminate combo. Before I had my cutter I outsourcing the print/cut vinyl and figured I use the same material combo.

The trouble I'm having is after I cut the graphics into the desired shape I've been having trouble weeding the small letting. The lettering is a basic helvetica about 3/4'' tall. It's cuts thru smoothly and I have even adjusted the pressure and depth up and down, but I get the same weeding results.

Once I start weeding the letters pull right up and they don't show any signs of staying down on the liner. Looking closer at the cut line I separated the cut vinyl with my fingers and notice tiny strings of adhesive still binding the images together. The larger images and text do a better job of staying down, but I still have to place a finger down to keep it from popping up during weeding. I did have success by just cutting the vinyl without the laminate it was flawless.

Any suggestions out there before I switch materials. Does the the 3M Gloss 8518 cut/weed better than the 8519 Luster? :help

ProWraps

you need to let them sit overnight. the vinyl will pull back on its own and make it much easier. adjust your workflow to allow the extra time.

Wraptrick

Agree with ProWraps, leaving it alone for a day does the trick. I've weeded lots of small intricate decals on IJ180 and 1080, that's the only way to do it.

blacknbart

Let it rest!!!

Wow! Ok I'll try that tomorrow when I go back into the shop. Very interesting and worth a shot. Thanks everyone and I'll post my results.:U Rock:

WB

Another trick is to cut around the text and apply everything then weed it on the truck,

gabagoo

I have tried to make it a habit of refusing to use air release vinyl that involves anything cut, due to these problems. Small lettering with lam especially...was never designed to be used for this.

MikePro

+1 to WB's tip:
be creative... just weed out the centers of the letters, and cut a box around the small lettering to be applied.
apply the WHOLE BOX, and weed out the negative after you've gently applied to your substrate. pre-weeding the centers saves you a headache when it comes to this final step.