• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

weeding and cutting depth

avatrx

is there a general rule of thumb pertaining to cutter depth based on material?

I buy generic vinyl since it is mainly used for generating chisel type artwork to make silkscreens. often it doesn't have ANY information on it. It barely cuts the material.

The other question (in the same vein) is the weeding option in Sign Tools. Is there more information on the best way to set that? Do you apply a weed border and then ungroup the artwork so you can move the cut lines around?

I'm used to VE LXi that lets you see the panels before you cut, set the cutter depth, etc. I would like to continue to use that software, but since it's so old, it won't run on Win7. A problem I'm currently trying to solve with the use of VirtualBox or perhaps a dual boot machine.

Haakon

Knife pressure depend both on vinyl and health/sharpness on knife, so no rule of thumb other than trial and error on your specific setup. A new knife blade could cut easily with 70g pressure on cast vinyl, but would maybe need 120g+ when dull. And in the end it won't cut precise no matter what the pressure if its too dull.

What cutter do you have? Most have a test cut function that you use to try what is needed for your specific vinyl.

avatrx

I have a rather old Panther cutter GRC-61. The manual isn't terribly helpful. Some of the setting require you to change something at a particular screen. I bought this pre-owned and have had it for about 5 years. I have never seen some of the screen displays referenced in their book.

I did find a section that deals with 'force'. and another that deals with 'offset'. Finding those particular areas were kind of a crap shoot. I usually take notes so I can find them again, but I was so frustrated with not being able to use my VE LXi software with WIN7 that I wasn't following my personal protocol.

I do remember there being ranges. So far my answer has been to adjust the blade in the cutter itself (the blade holder). That adjustment only helps so much...

I think they need to hire me to write their technical manual :)

Tony McD

I do the "cut test" when changing media. There can be a difference from calendar, cast, reflective, sandblast mask, etc... even between brands.
I was taught to set the pressure so you have a faint line in the backing paper. Any deeper and you may have paper coming up with the lettering, any less and it's difficult weeding. Also, make sure your cutting strip doesn't have a groove in it.

I am using a 2002 model GRC 61 24" cutter with LXI Master 6.6 v1 with Windows 7 pro.
I think you have to have the pro version of windows 7. Had to download virtual pc and windows xp to run the program. Then you start up vitual pc and load and use the software in xp mode. It takes a little getting use to. When you start the program, you have to attach (turn on) the usb ports for the dongle and hasp driver. Only have to do this once, if you leave the program on all day.
I save my files from corel draw as an .ai 1.1 file and import them into LXI. Works fine for me.

avatrx

Sounds like you and I have the same hardware AND software. I do have WIn7PRo and also have XP Pro. I installed virtual box, installed WIN XP PRo, got the dongle up and running, got the software up and running but here is what I ran into.

The software (VirtualBox) does not support parallel printers (LPT1). I've never run the software using a serial cable. I went to a local computer guy and bought a used serial cable. had to be DB9 from the PC to DB25 to the cutter (as you know). Hooked it up and NOTHING! I guess it's possible it's not the right cable but I don't know how to tell. I ordered another new, but it hasn't come yet so parallel is all I have to work with.

Would you happen to know if Virtual PC supports LPT1? I'm guessing Virtual PC is different than Virtual Box?

I posted a question about the LPT1 on the Vbox site and was given some (untested) commands to input at the HOST command prompt to alter the LPT1 port. The commands were successful but it still would not allow me to cut to the cutter when using the GUEST XP Pro parallel port. Note: I installed the basic XP. I had SP2, but never installed it. perhaps that would make a difference. not sure.

I gave up on LXI, closed out VBox and went back to the guest computer (WIN7 Pro) to run a free trial of Sign Tools 4 which HAD run prior to all this. Now that program wouldn't run either.

I ended up uninstalling VBox and everything contained within. Ran a serious disk cleaner and then defragged overnight. The following morning I was at least able to run the SignTools to get those jobs cut out.

I would prefer to run VX because I'm familiar with it (to a degree) because I've been using it for several years. I also have issues with SignTools. I keep getting error messages about 'nothing selected', so it won't cut.

I usually do my layouts in VE, but when I do them in anything else (AI 10 is one) I save them as EPS v8 and they import just fine
into VE. I"ve never tried using Corel for that, but if I ever get it running again, I'll give that a try. You said ".ai 1.1 file".does that mean you save it as AI version 1.1? I'll have to look at that.

Meanwhile. I just re-installed VBox but have no installed the XP Pro yet. I am familiar with having to check the USB connections to get the dongle to show. Trial and Error. almost reinstalled the HASP driver til I realized I had forgotten to check the USB.

If you could let me know about Virtual computer and using a parallel port, I'd appreciate it. This is just getting very frustrating. I do have another computer with XP Pro on it and worse case - I'll have to hook up the cutter to that one, but it would be nice to run everything on ONE computer.

NOTE: I need to add that my WIN7 PRO is 64bit and my XP Pro is 32 bit. don't know if that makes a difference.

thanks,
-susie

Last edited:

avatrx

what version are you running and on what cutter? there are USB drivers available but SW does not recommend the use of them. not sure why. I have to use a parallel port.

Last edited by a moderator:

avatrx

here is a link to the site that speaks about USB connections. I'm assuming they mean serial to USB.

Attachments

• usb info from signwarehouse.jpg
    usb info from signwarehouse.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:

Tony McD

I'm connected with a usb to serial adapter cable.
The number on my cable is U 232-P25
It came from signwarehouse years ago.
Just saw a 6' one on e-bay for $25
Mine is probably 10 or 12' long.

Tony McD

All of my design work is done in corel, and only use LXI software for cutting, so it's just line art, no gradients, photos, etc... (the versacamm get's all the other stuff)
Convert all to curves, and save as an ai.1.1
These files import perfect for me.
Had tried some other formats and some wouldn't import as clean.

avatrx

That is probably some of the best info I've gotten lately. Let me double check my software and cutter. I know it's a GRC-61, but let me make a note of the 'firmware' that shows up when booted.

I have some photos of my cutter and the connections. Is there a way to send them so you could tell me if you have the same one?

Did you use one of those 'not recommended' USB drivers on the SignWarehouse site? I posted a link on a previous post.

I also only do line art. No photos - nothing fancy. I use our cutter for generating 'film' for making silkscreens. basic layouts etc. We are primarily silkscreen printers for manufacturing and also some sign work. Currently we're doing some political signs. pretty basic. If they want fancier stuff we send it out.

My only concern after 'junking' our Brown 24" camera back camera, was when the companies need the super fine artwork as in printing legends and dials. that type of thing. I've been trying to find someone who can make film artwork for me since there is little room for deviation in that type of printing. One of our customers manufactures x-ray machines. I sure don't want to goof up that artwork, :) So far there basic art has stayed the same over 20 years.............

avatrx

You have me curious now. I have a Garmin PIlot III. After looking at EBAY for the spec's you mentioned it showed garmin serial cables. That is what I have to download the latest GPS maps for my Pilot III. at least I think that it is what it is. I remember it being a special cable.

My Garmin Pilot III is outdated now and I can't get updated maps. That's OK. I use my IPAD now when I'm flying. Much bigger and easier to see at my age. :) I wonder if the cable is the same? I think the connector on the garmin is a little wonky so it may not fit on one end, but I'll have to look. It's been a long time since I've used it since they discontinued the map support.

avatrx

Just posting that I had ordered a serial cable thru EBAY for the Panther cutter. I got the cable and it works great! Now I may try installing XP on VirtualBox again and then installing the VE software. I'm a little gun shy. I may wait until I have all the jobs cut that I'm waiting on artwork approval for. Then if I get stuck - it won't hold up production.

-susie

Tony McD

I have the 24" Ultra Pro T cutter. Not sure how it differs from the panther.

You got the U 232-P25 cable in one day? That was fast.

I don't know anything about VirtualBox, do you still have to install xp with it.
With the Windows 7 Pro version, I got a free download of Virtual Machine and Windows XP.
Pretty large downloads if you're on a slower connection.

Here's a couple pics of my cutter. It's a 24" ultra pro t. Actually my second one, first one got hit by lightening about ten years ago.

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Connections.jpg
    Connections.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 106

Tony McD

Might be best to have a backup xp computer till you figure it all out.
I kept my old computer loaded so I could just hook it back up.

avatrx

I'm not sure exactly what cutter I have. Yours look a tad more upscale that the one I have.

As for the serial cable. I bought one from a local computer guy. used. that one did not work. I had ordered on thru EBAY before you specifying what I needed, so I wasn't sure that would work either, but to my surprise - it worked great! 15 ft cable.

I did get a free virtual download of Virtual Machine. I didn't realize it came WITH XP.

Virtual Box is a standalone program that allows you to use it with just about any system. Not exclusively Microsoft. I chose that because my son was a bit familiar with with it, and he was here at the time, so I tried it. It doesn't work with a parallel cable.

I am now re-installing it, but I do have to install my XP Pro inside of it. I do have a legitimate copy of XP with the key code, so that isn't a problem. What I'm trying to figure out now, is how I identify my serial port. It wants a path. I'll have to post on Oracle and see if someone can walk me thru that.

The other thing about Virtual Box is that it's portable. You can 'clone' it and put it on another system in it's entirety. I thought that was kind of a neat feature.

I do have a backup XP computer. I had the hubby bring it home from the shop office. I really don't want to have to hook it up, but it's there in the event I have to.

Wish me luck.

-susie

avatrx

I have a question for you. I tried your method of saving as AI 1.1 and then importing into VE LXi but had a strange problem with the software. The artwork seemed to have imported fine (I'm running it on a virtual machine in Oracle's Virtual Box software) Xp Pro on a Win7 Host.

The measurements when I checked them in VE were fine, but when I attempted to cut it out, the height went up. I had it set at 5" wide by .235" tall. (It was a disclaimer for a political sign required by state law on a sign)

When I set it up to cut -- the height went to approx .45. The only way to reduce it was to reduce the percentage overall which I didn't want to do. The height wasn't critical, but it was rather confusing that it just would not reduce in the 'cutting' section. I closed it out, copied it and pasted it into a new file and it did the same thing.

I guess I'm asking you, because you have the same software. Any idea why it's doing that?

I bought my cutter and software pre-owned, so Signwarehouse will NOT even speak to me unless I hand over money, so I'm hoping to find someone that uses the software more than I do that might actually know what's going on with it. I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with the Vmachine.

I have the book on the cutter, but nothing on the software that sheds any light.

thanks in advance,
-susie