• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weight estimates for shipping

Chazgraphics

I get requests to estimate final weight for signs and banners, etc. Is there a basic formula to understand this more accurately? Example: 46x 120" 10 oz scrim vinyl banner with 4 side hems and grommets every 18" or so individually rolled in a cardboard tube. What the the best practices to these requests? Thank you for your expertise and patience with this noob.

GoodPeopleFlags

A scale would be the easiest and most obvious answer. If you've shipped a similar product before, you should be able to find out how much that one weighed. Then go to UPS.com, type in the weight and the zip codes and it will give you an estimated ship cost.

shoresigns

The type of banner stock (14oz. for example) refers to the weight per square meter.

So figure out your area in square meters x weight of banner used, add in a bit for ink, tape and grommets (if applicable) as well as packing or shipping tubes, and voila.

Once you're done this for a few sizes you should be able to come up with a formula that you can use in the future.

Or just make one, pack it and weigh it on a scale.

It's per square yard. The metric equivalent is "gsm" or grams per square metre. 440gsm is the equivalent of 13oz banner material.

guitarguy69

Total square foot of the job.
Divide by 9, the square foot per square yard of material.
Multiply by the weight of the material, 10 oz= 10.
divide by 16, ounces per pound.
Add a bit for boxing and or grommets and ink.

Example, a 4x10 13 oz. banner.

4x10= 40
Divide by 9= 4.444444
Multiply by 13oz.= 57.77777
Divide by 16= 3.61 pounds.
box, ink and grommets, round to approximately 4 pounds.

TimToad

I use the UPS calculator and just try to get close on package size and weight. I'll usually put something in the quote like "Final shipping charges to be determined by package size/weight and delivery option chosen."

That covers us in case the customer calls back and wants it quicker than standard ground but didn't ask for expedited to begin with.

Attached is a weight calculator we use for some of our common medias. Just enter the dimensions in inches and number of units per box or pallet and it gives you the accurate weight of that shipment.

Hope that helps..

Attachments

• Weigth CalculatorMF.xls
    14.2 KB · Views: 113