• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weighted Blanket...who uses one?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I remember as a wee lad how my granny always used to stack a healthy pile of hand-knit heavy afghans on us when we stayed overnight at her house long ago. I also remember enjoying how it felt, and waking up feeling well-rested.

Well, what was once old is new again. I see weighted blankets on the store shelves and I wonder if it might conjure up fond memories of being tucked in at gran's house again.

I already sleep extremely well as it is...just curious as to what users here might have to say.

JB

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We bought one for an autistic family member... it was heavy and expensive.

I got the poor mans weight blanked, I pile layers and layers of blankets on me...even in the summer so I crank down the AC.

WildWestDesigns

I remember as a wee lad how my granny always used to stack a healthy pile of hand-knit heavy afghans on us when we stayed overnight at her house long ago. I also remember enjoying how it felt, and waking up feeling well-rested.

This is significantly different then how a weighted blanket is going to feel. Also, depending on what weight you get, it can get pretty heavy as well. To the point of being too heavy for when laying down.

My grandmother had knitted me a lot of afghans over the years (she only passed a few yrs ago at 101) and nothing beats that feeling of all those afghans on you, but a weighted blanket doesn't bring up the same (at least not to me) feeling. Tend to be different material, uncomfortably bulky and like I said, very very heavy depending on the weight that you get.

Johnny Best

I had a different kind of Grandmother. Use to go to the corner bar and get her and bring her home and put her on her couch downstairs and cover her up with a afghan blanket that reeked of cigarette smoke.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha, slept over at my grandma's house when I was a kid from both parents side, but they all had handmade quilts and comforters. Afghans were for the sofas and chairs in the parlor. Today at in our home, we have a winter goose down comforter and a summer goose down comforter. Super light weight, but warm as all get out. Then, we have fleece bed sheets and covers which are warm instantly when your skin hits the bed. Far better than flannel.

SheBeau

I bought one for my mother who has difficulty falling and staying asleep. She refused to try it because it reminded her of being a child and having to pile blankets just to be warm. So I use it and LOVE it. I tend to stay in one place and fall sleep faster, reducing my restless nights significantly.

Andy D

Well, what was once old is new again. I see weighted blankets on the store shelves and I wonder if it might conjure up fond memories of being tucked in at gran's house again.

I already sleep extremely well as it is...just curious as to what users here might have to say.

JB

Funny I had a similar experience when I was a kid & now I'm the opposite.
I almost never have more than a sheet over me with a cover over my feet.
I can't stand to wear jewelry, have anything in my pockets & would 10 times rather wear shorts than
long pants, they all feel restricting and uncomfortable.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Wait...you guys had blankets? Fast forward 50 years, I don't have one of those fancy weighted blankets but I do keep a heavy blanket on the back of my couch I use once or twice a year. It's florida afterall! Would make for an interesting study. We know babies are calmer when "Swaddled". Maybe the same holds true for adults.

mfatty500

Funny that this subject just pops up, I got one yesterday, as all of a sudden I have developed restless leg syndrome (or at least I think that's what it is), but I used last night and I slept better, as that disease can be painful, the one I got is 4x6' and is 15 pounds, I think I could get by with a lighter one, if one is made, but I'll keep experimenting with it for now.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Funny that this subject just pops up, I got one yesterday, as all of a sudden I have developed restless leg syndrome (or at least I think that's what it is), but I used last night and I slept better, as that disease can be painful, the one I got is 4x6' and is 15 pounds, I think I could get by with a lighter one, if one is made, but I'll keep experimenting with it for now.

I had a touch of that some years back and my wife got me some supplement and it worked wonders for me. Went away in a few days. Some kinda magnesium something or other. I'll look it up tonight when I get home for ya.

mfatty500

Thanks Gino, I tried some spray Magnesium the other night and my legs just burned to high hell, I don't know if it was just a bad night or what, but I'm open to suggestions. It only flares up at night when I go to bed, naturally.

Andy D

Thanks Gino, I tried some spray Magnesium the other night and my legs just burned to high hell, I don't know if it was just a bad night or what, but I'm open to suggestions. It only flares up at night when I go to bed, naturally.
I started to take 500mg of Magnesium every day because my test showed I was low & the Dr. said it would help with hypoglycemia (and it has)
but now that I think about it, I am a whole lot less fidgety at night and restless legs.