• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird banding... 'ever got something like this?

I also have a Roland SP54V and get this issue with banding only on bigger projects.

Brand new head from Roland and the heads are 100% it only really starts showing after the 6 inches or so..

I plan to replace the encoder strip and a new ribbon "Trail Cable" to see if this helps.. If no resolution is found with that then I will check the vacuum to make sure that is working properly.

Here is a picture of it.
BTW Banding is not happening in the same section of the print which is what makes me believe its not the encoder strip.
That orange is suppose to be the same color but you can see how it goes light and dark.
Banding photo copy.jpg artwork sample.jpg
Print vs Artwork

player

It looks like ink starvation. Maybe or not...

Check that the printer is level.

Check dampers. How old are they? Are they OEM or offshore?

gregwallace

I know something you could try. Set up a file with horizontal lines. The file should be as wide as your material and maybe 2-3 feet long. The lines should be as narrow as possible and spaced about a half inch or so apart. Kind of like notebook paper. Make the lines 100% black and print on the same material and printer settings as the job you are having problems with. Inspect the accuracy of the lines. My thought is that some sections of the lines will print perfect while other sections will be fatter or double printed similar to bi-direction being off except on the vertical dimension. This is more or less a feed calibration test that would check your feed across the entire width of the material.

klingsdesigns

I also have a Roland SP54V and get this issue with banding only on bigger projects.

Brand new head from Roland and the heads are 100% it only really starts showing after the 6 inches or so..

I plan to replace the encoder strip and a new ribbon "Trail Cable" to see if this helps.. If no resolution is found with that then I will check the vacuum to make sure that is working properly.

Here is a picture of it.
BTW Banding is not happening in the same section of the print which is what makes me believe its not the encoder strip.
That orange is suppose to be the same color but you can see how it goes light and dark.
View attachment 99216 View attachment 99217
Print vs Artwork

Does yours always do it through the whole print? Mine i feel like is the take up reel. I only have it ever happen once in a print. Yours looks like is keeps on thru the whole thing.

Yea it continues on the whole print. Sometime if I pause the print for a little bit and then resume I feel it doesn't do it as bad.

Does yours always do it through the whole print? Mine i feel like is the take up reel. I only have it ever happen once in a print. Yours looks like is keeps on thru the whole thing.