• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird print problem

jiarby

Been getting this with a new roll of 3651....
Mutoh 1604, Oracal 3651, Onyx Rip, Mutoh's DS Gloss Vinyl profile.
We've printed lotsa 3651 before and never had this. It seems to happen towards the end of a run. The first few feet look fine, the last few look bad.

Whaddya think:

Roller?
Print head spooging?
Contaminated vinyl?
Something else?

See pix below

Attachments

• bad3651.jpg
    bad3651.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 78
  • bad3651-2.jpg
    bad3651-2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 73

randya

Take a loop and look at the 'overspray' for lack of a better term.

My first guess would be static, the second, pf encoder wheel.

Is is only the same colors as the red in the print?
Is is dots or smearing?
How does change in head height affect this?

jiarby

head is set to high.

Do you mean a "loupe" to look up close??

looks like (in this print) just red.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
loupe is magnifing glass.

My guess is stattic as well. Our Roland does something like that. It starts fine and then gets progressively worse. If we pause it and the heads discharge on the capping station it will stop for a while and then build again.

HaroldDesign

I happen to have a static problem today with a different type of material. I can actually feel it as comes out of the printer and it's causing "overspray". Is there something that can be done about it?

jiarby

My printhead was kinda schmutzy looking... over due for a good scrubbing. I just did that, and also changed the roll to see if my problem transfers to the new roll.

randya

loupe is magnifing glass.

My guess is stattic as well. Our Roland does something like that. It starts fine and then gets progressively worse. If we pause it and the heads discharge on the capping station it will stop for a while and then build again.

On the VJ, you can go in and tell it to do a cleaning in the middle of printing.

This may be enough to discharge the head, if this is a static build up.

Autocleaning - During Printing if memory serves me correctly...