• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Welding PVC banners

kanini

So we got a larger order for 68 pcs. of about 44 feet banners that need to be welded on both edges. We got a Leister Uniplan E for the job but how afraid should we be of the eventual gases etc. that comes from the banners when welding? I know if you burn it you get nasty stuff but we work in a larger industrial building with high roofs and a large door we plan to open when welding. I've tested the welder and it runs fine at around 530 F but is this too much/little? Now it doesn't smell much and no smoke. With higher temps it smokes so I think it's about right for the material, but I don't want to get seriously ill just for a couple banners... Thank you for any input!

fozzie

We have a liester. Think we run it at 600 degrees, 100 air flow and 20 ft per minute. That's on 13 oz banner.
Hot enough to get good strong weld (shouldn't be able to pull apart) but not hot enough to melt/burn.
Once you find the sweet spot you shouldn't get fumes.
One thing, keep the wedge clean. Don't let any buildup of vinyl get on it. Usually clean with wire brush every few banners.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
banners

So much for "banners are for 30 day applications" around here.

i use HT-66 solvent glue which melts the banner together. way less expense and after three years, still going strong!
-mosher

fozzie

stand corrected. just checked with my guy.
we run 650 degrees, 20 ft/mn, 100 air flow for 13 oz.

kanini

Thanks for the replies! We run also 13 oz. but I haven't speeded up yet so the 500-550 degrees is giving us a very strong weld in my opinion, and I do think it's faster and easier than glue or tape when you make a couple or more. Maybe the fumes aren't as bad then, we don't get any smoke or a lot of smell if you keep the wedge clean...