• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well Color me Surprised...

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I am really using Linux now for everything I do, Windows is not hooked to internet for anything unless I really need it.

Advertising is coming to your folder views when you look for your files.

WildWestDesigns

I am really using Linux now for everything I do, Windows is not hooked to internet for anything unless I really need it.
I tried not to do this, but I can't hold off anymore. I use Arch by the way. There, I got it out of my system for the day.

Isn't it already there? I think I've been seeing ads for one drive on people's computers forever. Ads will also be coming to the "infotainment" of one's vehicle as well. Brave new world out there, at least it better be.

More and more I'm wanting to get the ole Speedball out, Ames guide and just go back to the old way of doing things. And I do like my computers.

pro-UP

This is a MAJOR privacy issue. When you work on classified, NDA driven, or just private projects and now they have a window into your files... I cannot fathom how this is not breaking some laws in some way. I truly wish our governing laws would keep pace with technology to better project our businesses and citizens.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
The screen captures that happen every 5 seconds "stay on your computer". This is what Microsoft is claiming, but what is the AI built into everything now doing with the screen shots?

I can not find the folder that they are storing the screen captures in, and I have been looking.

They claim you can turn this off, but it is heavily integrated into the system, so if you totally remove it, you break your system.

WildWestDesigns

Try out openSUSE Tumbleweed. It runs way better than windows trash.
When I was first moving to Linux, I tried to that very distro (I like KDE and Plasma is a first class citizen on that distro). It was no bueno at all. Live ISO was OK, but once installed, I couldn't even get TTY.

This program claims it can disable it. But I don't run win11 so idk.
I never liked the thought of having to use some 3rd party script/program to disable something that the OS should allow the user to do it.

MS has, especially lately, seem to be more of an OS for those that need training wheels and to have guardrails for what they are trying to do. I miss the days of 9X as they were more powerful. Not in terms of computational power, but user power.

MS, to me and this could just be me, like Adobe, have become more of a data/ad company compared to a software company.

The screen captures that happen every 5 seconds "stay on your computer". This is what Microsoft is claiming, but what is the AI built into everything now doing with the screen shots?

I can not find the folder that they are storing the screen captures in, and I have been looking.

They claim you can turn this off, but it is heavily integrated into the system, so if you totally remove it, you break your system.
I think it stores it in a database file, so it's not technically raw pictures.

The thing is, while it is local (at least for now), compared to what else they collect in telemetry, it's nothing to send it elsewhere.

WildWestDesigns

all telemetry is shut off in mine, and I use wire shark to see what is being sent and shut down the ip or address in firewall
Are you running some type of 3rd party program? Otherwise, I don't think you can shut off everything just using what MS gives you to turn "off" telemetry. Ironically, even the basic telemetry collection seems way too much last time I looked and I'm sure it has only gotten more so.

WildWestDesigns

in Enterprise edition you can disable it.
Hmmm, I'll have to take a look at that. I know there are several stuff, particularly with policy/work group that you can do, but I do know one with Enterprise and I didn't notice it, I'll have to take a look next time I'm there.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
just wait till Recall hits all computers. Takes a screen shot every 5 seconds, so far no way to disable it, it is integrated into the folder system. If you delete it you no longer have a file folders.

WildWestDesigns

Just uninstalled it through powershell.
Did the Earth open up? I thought people used Windows (and Mac) to get away from the CLI? It's like the CLI is where to meaningfully solve problems on the computer still to this day.

Oh well, I hear 2025 will be the year of the linux desktop.
Even as a big Linux user (Arch user here), I don't want the year of the Linux desktop (and I doubt it would happen). While I do consider it a better OS compared to Windows (Mac has some better arguments, but those are also cons as well), I wouldn't want to be widely adopted.

Smoke_Jaguar

Man who touches printers inappropriately.
We strip out lots of invasive stuff on our machines, so just adding that stuff to a powershell script or registry file is super easy when doing a fresh install, or an update changes settings. Stuff runs better when it's not bogged down with crap like advertising or junk features.

WildWestDesigns

We strip out lots of invasive stuff on our machines, so just adding that stuff to a powershell script or registry file is super easy when doing a fresh install, or an update changes settings. Stuff runs better when it's not bogged down with crap like advertising or junk features.
I agree. I just use nimscripts instead of Bash. Much more portable if I ever did have to go to a different OS again.

Question becomes what happens when stripping out non modular features from Windows especially.

Back in the 9x day (98SE and later), certainly when NT came around for the everyday person, ripping out IE would cause issues. First release of 98, I think could still get away with it, but I think that was changed by the time SE came out. When Cortana was around, that would neuter searches, even local file searches when trying to strip that out.

The fact that all of this stuff happens and it's requiring more and more effort for the end user to get it how they want it, is a big issue for me. Personally, I prefer opt-in versus opt-out, but they are making it harder and harder to even opt-out.