• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well, I guess tables are a shop tool... post yours?

petesign

We are growing... which is a good thing... and I am about to buy a double chain stitch machine for the amount of banners we are producing. So... i need a new production table. I am thinking 5' wide and 16' long... with a gated section we can add/remove the sewing head in and out of. I have two tables now, we made them with 2x4's and plywood, and have the self healing cutting mats on top. I like them okay, but this is an opportunity to make something nice for the shop, and wanted to pick your brains about what features your tables have that you like that I might not have thought of.

Anyone here willing to post pictures of your production tables and discuss what you wish you had done differently? I think these are often overlooked tools we have at our disposal, and with the right thinking could enhance our productivity.

Thanks!
-Pete

Letterbox Mike

If you have the room I'd go to 6' wide. We had 5' tables before and when you're dealing with banner material that's 63" wide a 60" table can be just enough of a pain... 6' is way easier to work with.

I'd go with 2x6s for the length of the table instead of 2x4s, our last tables were 5'x8' and we used 2x4s and they developed a bow eventually. The new ones are 6'x10' and they haven't bowed in 3 years using 2x6s.

Also, put heavy-duty casters on them!

Lastly, even if you don't intend to do this, I'd recommend making the tables the same height as your laminator so you can off-feed sheets or prints onto the table easily. This is kind of common sense but it's still worth mentioning.

SIGNTIME

utilize the underneath of your table with a shelf or two and we made wheels welded to treaded rod with a handle so we could screw them down to move the table and screw them up so the table is planted firmly on the ground I will post pics when i get a chance... we are also going to be building another couple of tables here soon when we get the addition finished up

SIGNTIME

here are a couple of pics(shop it a disaster and will be for another month) we plan on building 2 new tables 1 5x12 and 1 5x10 for each side of the laminator and put a couple of latches to latch them together when needed but we may only make them 55" wide to match our laminator as anything over 54" is considered a specialty in this shop... the table in the pic is our small table 4x6

Attachments

• IMAG0680.jpg
    IMAG0680.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMAG0679.jpg
    IMAG0679.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 145

pjfmeister

Our main table is a 6'x24' built with 2x4's and 3/4"MDF, top covered with 2 - 6x12 large self healing cutting mat....lots of room underneath the top for large open flat shelves, sliding drawer style shelves and substrate racks....

SignManiac

New shop is slowly turning out awesome! But there are so many things I want to add. Takes time and I have patience. Thinking of moving the table too :)

mnapuran

Old pics... but you will get the idea.

I built these as 2.5'x8' rolling tables. Bolted 2 together side by side to get a 5'x8' work table. You can add more to get more length as well. This give quite a bit of flexibility, and you can roll them individually through a standard door (if you ever move, or need to)

Topped with a 5'x8' cutting mat, and shelf space underneath for storage.

Attachments

• LR_0701-table 003.jpg
    LR_0701-table 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 118
  • LR_0701-table 004.jpg
    LR_0701-table 004.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 133
  • LR_0703-table.jpg
    LR_0703-table.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 124

jasonx

Old pics... but you will get the idea.

I built these as 2.5'x8' rolling tables. Bolted 2 together side by side to get a 5'x8' work table. You can add more to get more length as well. This give quite a bit of flexibility, and you can roll them individually through a standard door (if you ever move, or need to)

Topped with a 5'x8' cutting mat, and shelf space underneath for storage.

Here's our bench.

Credit goes to Phil Fenton: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Create-Your-Making-Business-Scratch/dp/0956443400

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 138