• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We're in the market for an articulating boom lift but...

GB2

Old Member
Due to recent changes in the law, Nifty lifts are not approved for lifting anything except you. I know there are retrofits that you are thinking of but those are primarily not legit and an OSHA inspector will fine you heavily if you use a lift in that manner.

AGinVT

Yikes. I'm guessing this law change isn't restricted to Nifty lift. Wonder if any of these compact lifts are rated to lift signage?

AGinVT

Yea. Screw on two 2"x4"s and have them stick out about 4" from the basket. Rest the sign on it and run a strap from the bottom of the basket to the bar at the control panel so you can operate both hands. Don't get fancy and bolt square tubing... You'll get in a position where you need to loose the "forks" and being able to easily unscrew them from inside the basket has saved me many times.

Get a magnetic doggie dish to keep screws and bits.

aBhfofyEu4KSTLd9LaW8IIVxz9p-qLs0ziDU8BVni5zfbeWzvkg4VwgYSH84hcQ21rPJM8HEDJVBmSuPy3wgCzaGwqrGLanmBMjbGqcYvCglLk-GB_1ymir9QglsydBO6X6CEuaFbpE=w1920-h934-no

XFogYCMZfBZRsbPnryhpd0d3PC8amCs0kUGBTydH1Z69lTGVzT6qAukIDEq_bTeKYJottvOLnPx2XFakF-IJZyaPRMV4Zs6fkWBmVKQ1_LSPPo4smdPxzvzxUbfzBPZ_44FwgiymkA4=w539-h938-no
ZT2z6WA_ctQjwHOy-GNfEwQHOcU-OerPsgK6XN_TjD8-xURwjfIuAIabLi5vrtg7UuBf-RjS_W00h1BX__ZDUEmYLknP64bRBc1Smh7LcKkwMDpAbJrzL-SGejRLUL8fxSr_gJy7Fwo=w1920-h934-no

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Due to recent changes in the law, Nifty lifts are not approved for lifting anything except you. I know there are retrofits that you are thinking of but those are primarily not legit and an OSHA inspector will fine you heavily if you use a lift in that manner.

You sure you're not talking about those retrofit attachments that turn the lift into a crane?

Maybe sticking a 20 lb. sign board is technically not right.. but you can't tell me people use cranes to lift a 4x8 piece of ACM. I've seen a ton of local sign companies with forks on then end of their bucket and they rest sign faces on them.

AGinVT

The lift I want has gas or electric options at the same price. I've rented electric before without any issues, but I'm sure there are some drawbacks? Aside from environmental, I am leaning toward electric because allows me to use the lift for indoor installs and they're a lot quieter.

What would I possibly be sacrificing if I chose electric?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The lift I want has gas or electric options at the same price. I've rented electric before without any issues, but I'm sure there are some drawbacks? Aside from environmental, I am leaning toward electric because allows me to use the lift for indoor installs and they're a lot quieter.

What would I possibly be sacrificing if I chose electric?

If it were me, spend the extra $2-$3 grand and get bi-energy. I've had batteries die on me AND I've run out of gas in the field...but those were on days where I was in the lift 10-hours+. Batteries are slow and then they die it takes a while to charge. Gas is loud but I like to crank it up when I'm lowering the outriggers or getting my boom into place because it makes it run faster. Having the option between the two is more than nice.

AGinVT

If it were me, spend the extra $2-$3 grand and get bi-energy. I've had batteries die on me AND I've run out of gas in the field...but those were on days where I was in the lift 10-hours+. Batteries are slow and then they die it takes a while to charge. Gas is loud but I like to crank it up when I'm lowering the outriggers or getting my boom into place because it makes it run faster. Having the option between the two is more than nice.
The hybrid for the model we're looking at is $4k more. Maybe a dumb question, but can the electric be plugged in while operating?

unclebun

What part of the regulations is that in? It doesn't say anything about it in the section on articulating boom lifts and platforms https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1926/1926.453

GB2

Old Member
I don't have all the exact reference available but here is an OSHA quck fact sheet that describes that you are not supposed to lift anything outside the basket or larger than the basket. Also I think it is ANSI A92 that has more detail. All aerial lifting equipment has a manufacturers label that states whether the equipment is rated for material handling and I can tell you that all towable lifts are not....with the exception of very few Haulotte lifts that were purchase with a material handling hook that you had to remove the basket and put the hook in place for lifting material. They have now discontinued that hook and are no longer rated for lifting. There may be some others that I don't know about but basically none of them can legitimately do any lifting. That being said....I am definitely no expert on this and most likely there is a lot more to it but we shouldn't encourage someone, who doesn't know what they are getting into, to start doing possible illegal or dangerous things.

Attachments

• OSHA aerial-lifts-factsheet.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 147

unclebun

Yeah, I saw that sheet. It is not, however, the code which is the law.

If you follow that sheet the way it is written in every case, it would make billboard wrap installation illegal, all sign face replacement illegal, fluorescent light bulb replacement illegal, installation of banner frame and associated banners illegal, and so on. And even if you had a crane for material lifting, it would be pretty hard to manage a billboard wrap, a 4x8 MaxMetal or Plexiglas sign face, or even an 8' 2x4 using a crane. What would you even use to attach it to the crane?